Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100% COFIRMED ARCHAIC (34)COPPER CULTURE(34) ARROWHEAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% COFIRMED ARCHAIC (34)COPPER CULTURE(34) ARROWHEAD!

I went to the local Museum today and talked to the Head Curator. I showed him the point i found. His first words were "Do you have any idea what you have found here?" I said "hopefully an Archaic Arrowhead?" When he confirmed what I thought I almost crapped my pants. The point is a 100% Archaic Copper Arrowhead in pristine condition. The piece that I found totally blows away what their collection has in it. I felt bad when he asked me if I would be interested in donating it and said "no". He understood when I told him that I am part Ojibwa and I found it within the first 30 min of my first day of detecting. We had a good long chat about Copper Culture in the region and turned me on to a local book from the museum about the earliest inhabitants of the Great Lakes Region. We also discussed Paleo culture in the region. It turns out some of the earliest people in the region had a settlement less than 2 hours drive from my house. I'm totally stoked about the whole thing and I am hooked on the whole metal detector thing. Hopefully I can turn up some more artifacts in the region. With any luck I can ad a stone Arrowhead to my collection. I would like to thank everyone for their imput and hope to interact with my new peers very soon. It's going to be tough to find any time to hunt moose now. I'll be too busy hunting Artifacts. LOL Best Regards. Chris
       Attached files 

Cool story!  Isn't Shania Twain part Ojibwa?  I know what you mean about not having time to hunt moose, I would rather hunt points than deer and elk now...thanks!
    D
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

So an Archaic North American projectile point made of copper?  I had no idea there was any such thing.  A hearty congratulations to you.  Get any paperwork or write up from the guy at the museum?

Comment

Please let me know where you found it - an approximate location is fine, and I could use a better photo.  Is it ridged?  Email me at moberein@yahoo.com - I need to log this into my database.  That's all I want okay?

Comment

I didn't get anything from the Museum.  I am going to get the Point authenticated though.

Comment

I have one similar that I found in my garden in Northern Michigan.

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice!

Great find.

For those unfamiliar with the Old Copper Culture, and who would like to see the range of material:

Artifacts of the Old Copper Complex or Old Copper Culture. Ancient copper mines of the Lake Superior Region.

Rhode Island

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a great site, loads of info.

Agree, very nice find and welcome to the site Logger
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Lots of "wow" right there...and by right there, I mean all up in that Michigan cold area...👍
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Hi Metalhead,

That is a really really cool find!!!!

CMD thank you for the facinating read.

Von

Comment

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time!

Comment

I was looking on the internet for an arrow head that best resembled mine and this is the closest I have found! I found mine in 2004 in a field while picking rocks on my parents farm. There used to be a stage coach stop there in the 1800’s and a trading post. The minty green caught my eye and it was such a cool find, my grandfather had found some stone axe heads (about the size of your hand) in the same area when he was younger.

Comment

Working...
                      X