Live Oak County, Texas Harahey Knife and Scallorn point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Oak County, Texas Harahey Knife and Scallorn point

Couple of artifacts from Live Oak County, TX near Lake Mathis, including a Harahey Knife also known as a Four Bevel Knife 700 to 400 years before present as well as a very nicely notched Scallorn that still has some of the natural tar on the base. The natural tar or pitch-like substance has been found on the Texas beaches for centuries and was commonly used in the hafting process. The Scallorn is from 1300 to 500 years before present.
    Attached Files

Very nice artifacts. Thanks for their history too.

Comment

Awesome quality relics! The Harahey is awesome, but a well-made Scallorn is simply one of the most elegant styles of arrowhead ever made in my opinion.

That beach tar hafting material was an important trade commodity. A couple of places in Texas, a couple of places in California, and a few seeps scattered around. The Hopewell in the Midwest traded for it and some went all the way down in to Mexico to the Aztecs. Lots of places had oil or asphalt, but beach tar is a much higher quality material.

If anyone was a fan of Bugs Bunny, he always tried to get to Pismo Beach after missing the left turn at Albuquerque. Pismo is the Chumash word for the beach tar that washes up there.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Beautiful peices
        Utah

Comment

Glues can be beach tar, pine tar, or sweetgum mixed with charcoal here in East tx. All made a tar that got soft when heated but crazy hard cool. Was a perfect way to haft a point. Just heat it up to remove it.

Comment

Excellent serrations on that bird .

Comment

Very nice Texas artifacts. I love the colors too.
              FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
              X