Is this an arrowhead made from copper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an arrowhead made from copper

I found this while metal detecting a farm in Northampton County on Virginia's Eastern shore. I initially thought is might be a fid used for rope splicing but it seems too sharp. It is made of a thin copper rolled in to a sharp cone. There also appears to be wood fibers inside it. Thanks for any help. It is about 2.5" long and .25" wide.
    Last edited by Izzychico; 01-12-2024, 01:38 PM.

Looks like one to me

Comment

I'm not familiar with a Fid. I think it is a tobacco spear tip. Used to harvest tobacco, it splits the stalk so the tobacco plant can be hung on a lathe for drying. Just my opinion. And welcome to arrowheads.com . Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

It looks similar to one of these Kaskaskia points.

It says in the description they can be 2.5 inches long. Your specimen being only a .25 wide I dont think its a farm implement an arrow would make more sense to me.
        Last edited by Hoss; 01-12-2024, 08:28 PM.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          PS welcome to Arrowheads.com

• Izzychico
          Izzychico commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Hoss! I think you nailed it.

Inclined to lean towards it being a point too. If it is, it traveled quite far. I'd spend some extra time investigating the area you found that in.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Izzychico
          Izzychico commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I intend to go back but a little surgery has prevented me from getting out. I hate sitting here knowing the cover crops are growing and covering up my fields.

It's a point and quite a rare find in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
        X