Burwell Projectile and a Racketeer Nickle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burwell Projectile and a Racketeer Nickle

It is not the prettiest Burwell I ever fouund but a Burwell it is. This point was named by a family friend named Lucianne Lavin she grew up in the same town I grew up in. She and the late Lyent Russell named the point type for points found at a site in New Haven County, Connecticut. Lyent was a Yale graduate who was in was instrumental in bring carbon dating to the yale Peabody Museum in New Haven. This is a late archaic point made of white quartz. A personal find of mine from Litchfield co CT.
    The Rackateer nickle was minted by the US in 1883. because it just had the roman numeral V on the reverse racketeers back in the day took advantage and plated them gold to pass them off as five dollar gold pieces. The governemnt added the word cents and the v nickle stayed in mint until the early twentieth century.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20240112_145211.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	715396
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

cool looking point. good info...
    Utah

Comment

Nice piece of American history in that nickle . Pretty cool you have one. Bet they are a little on the rare side.
      keep on keepin after

Comment

Working...
      X