Arrowhead Roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowhead Roots

Back when I was still looking for Pirate Jean Laffite stuff along the 4 bays and hundreds of bayous of Galveston Bay, I realized that the Prehistoric People that lived around here, had first dibs on all the best coastal locations. Under any of the debris or evidence left by the early Texas Settlers, no matter where I looked, was evidence of large and small Indian camps. I was finding pottery sherds, broken and sharpened animal bone, and piles of thick and deep clam shell middens.

If you looked real hard under and amongst the shell, sometimes you would find a few flakes of chert or petrified wood that was used for tool stone. Most of which was smaller than fingernail size pieces. Then one day I found it. My first real arrowhead. I was hooked.

My first one was actually a broken one of carved bone. I lost it thru the years, but I perfected my search and started getting lucky. Along this area of the coast there is no available hard stone for 100 miles either direction. All stone was traded in. Maybe that's why the arrowheads are so small and any large projectile or blade is so rare compared to other parts of the state. I did find one carved shell point and many bone tips and gar scales that were used as possible arrowheads, but the crown jewel is the little gem chert arrowhead. Most of the coastal ones by me are under an inch or so, unlike other areas of the state. Click image for larger version

Name:	TX804d.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	720423 Click image for larger version

Name:	TX805d.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	720424 Click image for larger version

Name:	TX806d.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	720425 Click image for larger version

Name:	TX807d.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	720426 Click image for larger version

Name:	TX412c.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	720427 Click image for larger version

Name:	TX419.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	720428
    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Cool bio on how you got started in the hobby LS! Those are some nice lil Coastal Perdiz points...

Comment

Interesting . I often get asked how did you find so many? Well they are not all personal finds for one thing Dad found a lot more than me in his early days. For another Natives where here for at least 13,500 years according to data. Some data pushes that back even farther. People loose things, people throw things away. They left a lot of material we can find and study but a loiot is gone to history. Textiles and wood do not last like stone bone and shell. European Americans have been here for a little over 400 years look at how much crap we have laying around.! I tell people this stuff is everywhere underfoot. You just have to know how to find it. I was taught from a young age to do just that.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Cool story Garry, and some really nice arrow points!
        Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

That carved shell point is really cool!

Comment

Very interesting. I wonder if they made wooden points too, since lithic materials were so scarce.
            South Carolina

Comment

• Lone Star
              Lone Star commented
              Editing a comment
              Bone points and gar scales were used in place of chert or petrified wood. The Gar scales needed minor , if any, modification to use as they were very hard and pointy. I found a few dozen in context before I realized what they were. Lee Patterson was with the HAS at the time and came by to study and document my finds one day, and educated me as to their use.
          Working...
          X