Are obtuse tipped points rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are obtuse tipped points rare?

I was just wondering how rare this type point is. I haven't seen any around here but this one.

I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

No< it is quite common to find projectiles with damaged tips< they are often resharpened as this one was

Comment

Nope....they're just hard to understand sometimes... :woohoo:
         :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
      Sorry...just couldn't resist!!!

Comment

An old technique that was used by Clovis People as a more rounded tip less prone to break. If thats what a obtuse tip is??
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice find Jeff!

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

No< it is quite common to find projectiles with damaged tips< they are often resharpened as this one was
              I will have to disagree with you on this one cliff. I don't think this one is a blunt(broken and reworked) I think this was made like this and if you look in the Overstreet guide it has in the book one kind of distal ends of a point is an obtuse. The others it states are acute,apiculate,acuminate,mucronate,broad, and donnana along with the obtuse. And if you look at the second pic there is a cross flake coming off right below the tip. Not showing any damage at all.

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

An old technique that was used by Clovis People as a more rounded tip less prone to break. If thats what a obtuse tip is??
                Josh
              Its just a rounded way the made the distal end.

Comment

Jeffery,
                   That point was quite a bit longer and somewhat wider when it was first made. It was used, maybe broken, resharpened, used some more, and wound up as we see it now. It had a sharp point on it during most of its useful life. The fact that it was saved and resharpened while hafted is a normal part of the life of a knife or projectile. I expect where possible they used most tools almost to the nub, as this one was.
                It's a cool find!

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

Jeffery,
                     That point was quite a bit longer and somewhat wider when it was first made. It was used, maybe broken, resharpened, used some more, and wound up as we see it now. It had a sharp point on it during most of its useful life. The fact that it was saved and resharpened while hafted is a normal part of the life of a knife or projectile. I expect where possible they used most tools almost to the nub, as this one was.
                  It's a cool find!
                    Cliff...I feel you are more knowledgeable on artifacts than I am. So for the sake of not disagreeing to much. What are your indicators in your opinion on this point that it was quite a bit longer and somewhat wider when it was first made. Is it just because it doesn't have a pointed tip? It is 1 3/4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide at the ears. What type point do you think it is? I am open to your comments and enlightenment on this.

Comment

Jeffery,
                      I have no idea what type Kentuckians might call it- maybe Kirk or Savannah River? is a guess. I do not collect KY projectiles. But it looks late Archaic, early Woodland from the flaking. One clue to me that it was originally much larger is the haft. Note that the stem is about the width of your pinkie finger. It had a handle or shaft at least that wide. The haft covered about half of the length of the point. Take your fingers and cover the stem to just above the shoulders, it will indicate the small amount of projectile work area that was actually left on the resharpened point. Projectiles and knives did not usually start out their life in a depleted state, they started out longer and wider and as used they were depleted to exhaustion or nearly that.

Comment

Thanks Cliff
                      For your insight into this point. I also think the time period was woodland. Not sure of the type.

Comment

Nice point Jeffrey! I'm no expert, but it looks to me like it could possibly be a Dickson or Adena-Robbins. Both are pretty common here in KY and also fall into the woodland time period.

Comment

Working...
                        X