Bi-Point Curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-Point Curiosity

This little collection was sold by a little old lady from New Mexico. I think she had a 74 Buick for sale too: only drove it to church and back. Seriously there were 33 pieces for a total of ten bucks. I threw away 14 little chips and pieces (They didn’t invoke my curiosity). What the heck are these little bi-pointed things? They are not sharp: My guess is that they were worn down by sand or water.

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Some nice points in there.  Not real sure about the one's you call bi-faced, but I was say there's a possibility they are water worn and tumbled pieces.

Comment

Hey Coach, Thanks for taking a look. Yes they do look like they were worn down by sand and water. I think you may have misread. I didn't say bi-faced however they do look like they were knapped from both sides equally. I called them bi-pointed meaning that they are pointed on both ends. The flat ends that you see on some are probably old breaks. Even the breaks are not sharp: making it difficult for me to tell if they are in fact breaks.
      Ron
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

I got The idea that They might have been knapped to fit in a "cane" shaft. Like a hollow straight plant. Good Score, maybe take a look at Buick. :laugh:
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I sure wish I could talk to the man who found these but his daughter didn't have much helpful info. Here are a couple more close-ups.

Attached files 
          Michigan Yooper

Comment

Sure look to be water finds, well worn!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I meant Bi-Point not Bi-Faced and didn't come across clearly obviously.  My bad.  I would say they are definintely some type of point or knife that just have been extremely water worn and tumbled or weathered like I said earlier.  Sorry for any confusion, as sometimes my text doesn't come across as what my mind is trying to say.

Comment

Hey Coach, Thanks again for your input. I am going to do some more looking to see
                if I can find something like this in the lititure. It just seems odd to me that this
                one collector had so many of these. It might be an area type that just doesn't show up
                in other areas.
                Ron
                Michigan Yooper

Comment

In the Desert South West there is a bi-pointed, point type called the "Cottonwood Leaf"  Wind and sand can do a lot to stone.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I did some checking into this group of bipoints. At least three other people held the points before I got my hands on them. The farthest back I could trace them was a man who lived in the states of New Mexico and then Texas. His daughter has nothing more to add except that her father found the points. The points remind me of some very ancient technology and that is why I am bumping this back up.
                    Michigan Yooper

Comment

A few more close-ups.

Attached files 
                      Michigan Yooper

Comment

I have no clue on type or age. What part of New Mexico were the found?
                        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Chase thanks for taking a look. The best info I could find is that the man who found the points lived in New Mexico and then moved to Texas. He is now deceased.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Reminds me of stuff like this, but I'm not familiar with the region, just looked like they've been eroding for quite awhile. Nice whatever they are. The link is an interesting page at any rate

http://www.ele.net/kunz/mesamonte.htm
                            Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                            X