Dallas type Native Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas type Native Americans

I am really hoping PAINSHILL will chime in, I love his Info.
    I cannot find anything on Dallas type Indians. If anyone can guide me Id be grateful.
    I was told they lived on the river here in Bowling Green, KY. Or any other known Native Americans in my region.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Hi Paul
    I moved this out of "Off The Wall" to somewhere it should get more exposure. "Dallas type Native Americans" doesn't mean anything to me except in the context of the Caddo in Dallas, Texas. But I don't think there was any Caddo presence in Kentucky.

I checked a few publications in my library and would summarise as follows:

Kentucky has palaeo sites, including Clovis, and cave-dwelling indications but in the period from about 1,000 BC to 1650 AD it doesn’t seem to have had any major permanent settlement. Swanton reports the following as the early tribes in his 1953 bulletin “The Indian Tribes of North America” published by the Smithsonian:

Cherokee: The Cherokee claimed some land in southeastern Kentucky and traces of culture of Cherokee type are said to be found in archeological remains along the upper course of the Cumberland, but no permanent Cherokee settlement is known to have existed in historic times within this State.

Chickasaw: The westernmost end of Kentucky was claimed by the Chickasaw, and at a very early period they had a settlement on the lower course of Tennessee River, either in Kentucky or Tennessee.

Mosopelea: This tribe may have lived within the boundaries of Kentucky for a brief time, perhaps at the mouth of the Cumberland River, when they were on their way from Ohio to the lower Mississippi.

Shawnee: The Shawnee had more to do with Kentucky in early times than any other tribe, but maintained few villages in the State for a long period. Their more permanent settlements were farther south about Nasheville. At one Shawnee town, located for a short time near Lexington, Ky., the noted Shawnee chief, Blackhoof, was born. The tribe crossed and recrossed the State several times in its history and used it still more frequently as a hunting ground.

Yuchi: According to some early maps, the Yuchi had a town in this State on a river which appears to be identical with Green River.

Other people known to have been in the area of what is now Kentucky include the Iroquois, Wea, Kaskaskia, Shawnee, Yuchi, Delaware, Mosopelea, Caughnawaga, Miami, Choctaw, Creek, and Wyandot.

The oral history of the Iroquois narrates that they “invaded” the Ohio River area of present-day Kentucky, exterminating or displacing the existing peoples to claim the area as hunting grounds. The date for that is perhaps the 13th Century when the Iroquois waged war on pretty much everyone within striking distance. The people they displaced during the “Iroquois Wars” of that period included the Osage, Kaw, Ponca and Omaha who migrated westwards to what have become known as their historically traditional lands west of the Mississippi River. Thereafter, the Iroquois laid claim to the Kentucky area until 1768 but never actually occupied it as such.

There are various interpretations of where the name “Kentucky” came from: perhaps the Iroquois word for “meadow” or “prairie” or the Wyandot for “land of tomorrow”. Some hold out for “dark and bloody ground” or “river of blood” in reference to that violent period.

When the first pioneers reached Kentucky in the mid-1700s, there were apparently no permanent Indian tribes or Native American settlements in the region. The area was being used as common hunting grounds by Shawnees from the north and Cherokees plus Chickasaw from the south.

For Warren County specifically, there are several small Native American settlements and burial mounds. Webb and Funkhouser reported the following aboriginal sites in their 1928 book “Ancient Life in Kentucky” (drawing on references from earlier authors too):

1. Remains of town on Big Barren River. Mentioned by Rafinesque, but not definitely located.
    2. Mounds near Bowling Green. Mentioned but not definitely located by Rafinesque and probably the ones which are known to the students of Western State College and which they have examined. We have not seen them and do not know their exact location.
    3. Fort twelve miles north of Bowling Green on the south bank of Green River. Fortifications in shape of parallelogram, 750 feet on each side with stone walls at either end. Described by Bennett Young.
    4. Village site at Rainbow Rock near Auburn. Many artifacts found in vicinity. Reported by Elizabeth Davis.
    5. Village site and flint workshop on C. A. Smith farm two miles north of Bowling Green. Visited by W. D. Funkhouser and mentioned in this report.

Don't know if that helps. Maybe others know more.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I can't find any thing either.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Do you mean the Dallas Phase?  It is believed to be a part of the Mississippian era
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture of a Dallas Phase mound in East TN at Sevierville. Give me a few minutes I will find more pictures.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Comment

Thanks Hoss... that makes more sense, although perhaps not for Kentucky.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

For great info from the people that named the Dallas Culture- Lewis and Kneberg, get a copy of Tribes That Slumber http://www.alibris.com/Tribes-That-S...s/book/6816041
                or Sun Circles and Human Hands http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?br...+hands&mtype=B

Comment

Sorry for getting back to all your great responses.  The reason I asked is, I had a gentleman on Facebook comment on a post I posted, which was on the Corvette museum Sinkhole.  He commented saying there was a lot of great artifacts that came out of that cave that fell in.  So I asked more about what he said.  He found a full pot with 239 drilled shells for pendants.  Full necklace, and several other Arrowheads, ect.  He brought up the name Dallas Indidans.  So thats why I was trying to get info.  He gave me the cave owners info, and we looked at the cave this weekend.  It had been dug so much it was sad.  But I like to walk the field 1/4 mile from the cave, and it has tons of flint. 
                  Painshill, I have read a 1/4 of what you wrote in the past.  And I gained some good info from all of your responses.  Thank you all.
                    :evil:

Comment

Working...
                  X