Teepee ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teepee ring

An area farmer marked a couple of teepee rings for me. He had to wait until the cows grazed down
    the grass. The rocks are just about buried, and difficult to see. I know I didn't capture it well, but the flag is in the center. You may be able to get an idea. Anyway, one can see the surrounding
    area where they chose to camp. At the top of the picture is a ridge, and and on the other side and down the slope is a pretty large creek. Now I just have to find the campsites in his fields. He showed me some points he has found over the years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	041t [replaced].jpg
Views:	108
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	221937

Name:	043t [replaced].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	221938

Name:	044t [replaced].jpg
Views:	74
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	221939

Sorry about the pics. Really hard to see what I was trying to show.
    South Dakota

Hey Gary, That sounds promising. Good luck on the site. You can enjoy a great view while hunting.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

To be able to find and stand right in an actual site where folks lived is pretty amazing.
      Do you have an idea of what the diameter of the rings are? Whole families living within the confines of that space.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

The rocks are just about buried,  and difficult to see.  I know I didn't capture it well,  but the flag is in the center.  You may be able to get an idea.  Anyway,  one can see the surrounding area where they chose to camp.
          You’re right Gary, depending on the location the teepee rings can become buried to different
        degrees by soil buildup, sometimes to the point  of not being visible or recognizable.
        Here is one located on the Hartville Uplift in southeastern Wyoming.

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

To be able to find and stand right in an actual site where folks lived is pretty amazing.
          Do you have an idea of what the diameter of the rings are? Whole families living within the confines of that space.
            I didn't think to step it off Greg,  but between 12-15 feet in diameter.  I was impressed at the size.
          Going by the size of 11KBP pic,  I would have to say about the same size,  had there been someone to stand in the pic.
          South Dakota

Comment

11KBP,  that ring is very nice and easy to see.  Thanks for sharing.    Gary
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X