A different perception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different perception

:dunno: I purchased this book and oh-boy was it an eye opener. It is very interesting :woohoo: Any thoughts?

I picked that book up a few years ago and found it to be really interesting.  It has lots of early recorded accounts.  I'd recommend it for sure.

Comment

hmy: , While back i checked out the African HH/Canibal's on youtube. It's frowned on now :dunno:  :laugh: , but may still go on. :dry:
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I haven't seen this book but there is lots of evidence out there.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Here is a link to an archaeological document of a site in Ontario about a 25 min. drive away from where I live. Look at the section about human bones on pg.# 35 and then read the conclusions on pg.# 44 also in the pictures on pg. 53 item 16 is a gorget made from human scull.
              http://www.ontarioarchaeology.on.ca/...pendergast.pdf

Comment

Comment

I recall the discovery of the Ancestral Pueboan site proving such. Here is Part 1 of 6 on the subject. Posting with iPad, so it won't be embedded in the thread. I may edit it in again with the PC....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWbWPgjJ7W0

[YT]
              VWbWPgjJ7W0[/YT]
              Last edited by Hoss; 09-15-2015, 12:09 PM.
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                I stuck it in there for you Charlie.

I haven't read that particular book, but here's an article from Aug. 2015 that raises some interesting questions at Cahokia. There's no doubt in my mind that the Mesoamericans made it clear up to Illinois: bringing along some of their blood culture. I'm sure I'll be reading about it in the World News Daily Report anytime now..
              .................................................. .................................................. .................

Victims of Human Sacrifice at Cahokia Were Locals, Not ‘Foreign’ Captives

http://westerndigs.org/victims-of-hu...s-study-finds/
              Last edited by Olden; 09-15-2015, 11:21 AM.
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                sailorjoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Olden, that is a very interesting article. Thanks much for bringing it to our attention.

There are three very different things lumped together. Veneration of human remains by making artifacts, actual sacrifice of people, and cannibalism. All of them can look similar in the archaeological record, but cannibalism is what makes for an interesting story so the other two are usually tagged as cannibalism. A lot of people see some cut or burned bone and assume that they were lunch. I think cannibalism was a very rare practice. It existed, usually in very rare circumstances or isolated scenarios. Not many cultures actively practiced it on a larger scale.

Globally speaking, it's more of a recent phenomena that people are freaked out by remains. The Catholic Church venerated artifacts (pieces of remains) from Saints. If you were made a Saint, there was a pretty good chance your body would be split up and be turned into little religious artifacts. The Tibetians made cups out of the skulls out of monks, and after those became collectible, they made cups out of skulls of basically anyone. Egyptians spent a lot of time with dead people.

The Hopewell made an absolutely crazy number of gorgets and adornments from human bones. Enclosed are a couple of pictures of jaws cut and polished from a site in Indiana, but many of their big sites contain the remains of dozens if not hundreds of individuals. The later Mississippian groups made several versions of shell gorgets out of human skulls. You don't see them around for obvious reasons, but they aren't extremely uncommon. I've seen several flutes made from arm bones, beads made from finger/toe bones, etc. I haven't seen any evidence that people were actively eating people.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Wilson
                Wilson commented
                Editing a comment
                Can I get that stuff on ebay? lol. Very cool. Never thought of it?

Thanks Joshua, That is some interesting information.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very interesting youtube link there CMD. I will definitely watch the other 5 parts. It was a very dangerous and rough time contrary to the picture painted by many historians. Leaving the confines of the village could have resulted in death as it was a wilderness full of hazards. People have always been individual thinkers also. The majority may have thought of a certain practice as wrong or taboo but some might have seen no wrong with it. There are many new thoughts and theories coming to light as the older school of thought is being challenged by a new age of technological forensic advancements and new discoveries.
                The chase is better than the catch...
                I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
                X