Why so many bird effigies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so many bird effigies?

It seems I'm seeing so many worked pieces...scrapers especially...that have the likeness of a bird as a built in feature. Turkey, duck, hawk/eagle, shikepoke. Anybody else notice this as well?
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that he can learn in no other way!

It seems that you have a vivid imagination. The reality is that as soon as breakage creates a pointed end or a couple of protrusions on a rock, you're already halfway to the possibility of imagining a beak or a pair of wings. Add in a mineral inclusion that's in the approximate position for an eye and you can imagine all sorts of things. Frankly, I'm not even convinced that the majority of those pieces are worked. You might do better to pick a couple that you think show what you're describing, give us some close ups and explain why you think they're worked pieces with a bird likeness.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

The likelihood of finding an actual worked piece that represents a bird is extremely rare. Finding a handful plus gives you a good idea that what you think you see isn't. Keep up the hunt, you have a lot of interesting rocks and soon you will be on to actual artifacts.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I've said it before to others, I'll say it here. If the Native Americans wanted for you to see a bird, they'd make one so that you'd be able to see it immediately, and not have to guess at it. Like painshill said, I doubt that much of those rocks in your box are artifacts, save maybe a couple.

No worries, just get back out there, and you'll find something soon.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That point is a modern reproduction made in India. You do have some things but you need to do some studying I see fossils and some lithic materials but I also see a bunch of rocks. SO I gotta ask do you bring home every single rock you find?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	397616
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Right you are! Good eye...lol. My daughter gave that India arrowhead to me when she bought a box at a rummage sale. I don't keep it in my arrowhead box. It got tossed into the junk box...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
            A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that he can learn in no other way!

Comment

And no..i don't bring home every rock I find. Just most...lol. That's not my "good" box.. Lmao

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL thats good to know Paleogoat I mean Aries . I sometimes see things in different ways just like Aries is a goat so you got a new moniker

I've been a rock hound since I was a kid. I don't have flower beds at my house. I have "Rock Gardens". Less weed eating and a lower water bill that way...😁😁

Comment

Is this your 1st visit with us here on AH.com? I feel as if you have been a member before.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Gosh. This is like reading my own exchanges four months ago. PA, these folks are gonna give you a whole new view of your rocks. I am happy for you!
                  Last edited by Cecilia; 10-17-2019, 03:23 PM.
                  Digging in GA, β€˜bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

You may be interested in this, from our "Information Centre":

If you browse the forum section titled "Rocks Mistakenly Believed to be Artifacts" you'll find hundreds more examples.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Cecilia
                      Cecilia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It was the β€œbird” like example you showed that drove me nuts, and consequently, I drove members nuts with my Qs!

I read some of it earlier this afternoon Painshill. Thank you.

Comment

Surface Hunter...

I was a member of rediscoved artifacts and a couple others on Facebook before I pulled the plug on my social media accounts.

I don't think I was a member here?

If I was I don't recall.

Must of been pretty uneventful if I'm not sure.

I'm far from being a dumb ass...i tend to pay pretty tight attention to what I do

And my memory is usually quite long.

If I was I must have been drunk when I signed up and promptly forgot my password!

And regarding your comment from earlier on a separate thread..

No I've never lived in Missouri.

And also No have I ever been banned from here.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                        SurfaceHunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That was a different member that asked if you were banned not me. I just thought your posting reminded me of another member that used to be here before. Stick around and learn. There are many that will take the time to teach you the difference between a rock and a artifact if you wish.

Thank you Surface Hunter. I appreciate your kind words. I'm in this game for the long haul, and I'm oniy 2 years into collecting. I have much to learn. Trust me...i'm hardcore dedicated to anything outdoors. And as unlikely as it may seem even to me...artifact hunting has replaced 40 years of fishing dam near every day of the week. I'm hooked to say the least. I had never felt such a feeling as i did when I found my first point at age 48. Now my eyes are glued to the ground even when I'm on an asphalt parking lot...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                        SurfaceHunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I used to be a big fisherman for bass I caught a 16lb, 13lb both in the same month in 2004 i then moved to Georgia where fishing isn’t that great and picked this hobby up about 9 years ago. If you look online there might be a artifact show in your area. I’d suggest you go to one and visit maybe you will find some local people that collect with some experience. Maybe find one as a friend as I did go on a few hunts and learn. It will really open your eyes and instead of seeing birds you will see rocks and wonder why in the world you ever even thought they were artifacts

I actually have been checking for any local shows...and all the closest ones are already passed. Definitely in my plans to start hitting a few. But...my artifacts will never be sold. Nor will I ever purchase any either.

If I didn'tt find 'em?

Don't want 'em.

And keep ya hands off my stack...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Comment

Working...
                      X