Fur Trade VS Native Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fur Trade VS Native Made

The lines get blurred on this. There are many factors such as abandonment and salvage. And you have the re-purpose of items. The true fur trade items, was more essentials like guns and knives. bling like rings and beads. The thing that got re- propose vary, to the need. So I am going to wait to learn from Scott.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

chase, this should be very interesting. Between you and Scott we all should get schooled on this topic. I'm familiar with the fur trade but only in passing as part of the colonial history in our country. Like I told Scott, I'm really looking forward to seeing the posts. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
      chase, this should be very interesting. Between you and Scott we all should get schooled on this topic. I'm familiar with the fur trade but only in passing as part of the colonial history in our country. Like I told Scott, I'm really looking forward to seeing the posts. ...Chuck
      I really hope that we get input from 11KBP as well. The thing is both areas region dictated what was traded salvaged like in the west had more of a Asian influence In the southwest Spanish culture The European trade expanding west. And the trading companies and out posts. Even down to what a person could carry to trade.

Comment

Here is a sample of both trade, salvaged and re-purposed. The File in the center was used beyond having any teeth and then used as a scraper.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	194.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	217641

Comment

This should be an interesting post today watch develop.
          Fur trade items are very different in nature in relation to time ie 1600s to 1800s, location ie east coast/ central / west coast and who was doing the trading English/French or American.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Historic Trade Beads were greatly over valued and understandably so. The glass beads were beautiful and cheaply made. Just think of the work that went into making the authentic ancient artifact beads (both from stone and shell).

Historic Trade Beads from California:

Name:	Beads, California Nicolaus Ranch 1e.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	217660

Ancient Steatite Stone Beads from Oregon:

Name:	Beads, Oregon, Marpole Phase 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	217661

Ancient Shell Beads from Oklahoma

Name:	2B.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	217662
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by chase View Post
              Here is a sample of both trade, salvaged and re-purposed. The File in the center was used beyond having any teeth and then used as a scraper.
              Chase, you might want to compare your find with the item in the lower left hand corner of the attached image.

Name:	1897Sears.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	217757

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome catalog. You are spot on with the Box strap. I can see where it does look like a use file as well but this catalog certainly leaves no doubts at all.

Thanks 11KBP looks like you are spot on! But it does looks like it was re-purposed could be wrong?

Name:	131.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	217800

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a sweet find Chase thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by chase View Post
              Thanks 11KBP looks like you are spot on! But it does looks like it was re-purposed could be wrong?
              [ATTACH]n217800[/ATTACH]
              Now that I like!
              The close-up image is great.

No doubt about it, what you have there is a wagon box strap that has been repurposed to be used as a flesher.
              That’s a cool relic Chase.

Comment

Working...
              X