Central New Mexico ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central New Mexico ID

Hello all. New to forum, just returned from a trip to a friend's ranch in New Mexico. Found some great items. Stumped everyone with this one. Any guesses or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Welcome from east Tn!

Looks like a fragment of the rim and spout of an old porcelain or glass tea pot. Somewhat reminds me of what the wife calls "milk glass". Just my wild guesses. Someone will probably come along with a more educated answer... However Im pretty confident its not Native American pottery if that's what you were thinking...
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• OBION
      OBION commented
      Editing a comment
      Josh, I was right there with you on your wild guess until Paul commented below, guess us Tennessee boys don't know much about seashells in the desert!

• Kyflintguy
      Kyflintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol Im glad he came back with the correct answer. I can't tell you how many old white glass rims ive found in the creeks and elsewhere, I was convinced that had to be what it was... Lol learn something new everyday on here...

That's a piece of the heavier outer rim of a seashell. These were frequently used for decortive jewelery by the Hohokam and Anasazi in regions of New Mexico, or sometimes the entire shell was used as a scoop or spoon. It looks wind polished, and may have been part of a shell bracelet.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Never would have guessed that! Thanks very much for the ID.

Comment

Maybe a shell bracelet

Comment

Yessir! That is a shell bracelet in your frame! Normally when these are found, the shell has deteriorated to a powdery surface. Some however may be highly polished by hand, and also from natural abrasion, they can be very smooth and resemble milk glass. They are usually plain, some are highly decorated with incised lines, or animal effigies. The one in question is the part of the shell at the hinge. I would have to look it up, but the small divots in the shell are either for muscle attachment, or were remnants of the shells teeth. Here is a typical Anasazi shell bracelet.
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Working...
          X