X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Archaic

In case you ever find some of this what they call ugly
    pottery .
    We think of pottery of being tempered with sand or shells .
    I was looking up Archaic beveling and found this . Hmmm
    Using moss as a tempering agent . I have found sherds of this and always wondered because all my finds are woodland .
    What I find interesting is this puts a whole twist on an area I have found Archaic points . This must be their pottery .
    Last edited by Hoss; 04-18-2018, 05:22 PM.

Late Archaic 1/2 cup of java

Comment

I have been spelling it wrong for years LOL
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I have found pottery in CT that had sticks in it. When Native Americans made Daub plant fiber was added.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Always learning thanks Hoss .
          in Cal the adobe homes were clay with hay . Our school made us make them to learn how they lived .
          Now my brother and I took it to another level of balls with rose thorns on the ends .Just neighborhood wars .
          How we lived back then wewww

Comment

GA and SC pottery has been dated to about 4500 BP. Oldest in the country?? Pottery during the Orange culture (Archaic) in N FL @ 4300 BP Both of these dates are older than any pottery from north of Colombia, S. America. Pottery came later everywhere else in North America. Pottery in S. FL - 4000 BP, Missouri by 3700 BP, and Poverty Point, LA by 3400 BP. The earliest pottery in FL and GA was fiber tempered I know of spanish moss and palmetto and you can see those fibers in that pottery.
            The earliest dated pottery from the lower Amazon was shell tempered, 6-7K BP!
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Interesting information, thanks
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Working...
              X