Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke'm if ya gott'em !

Anybody know anthing about this, found in southern Ohio mid 60's

Hi Butch. Nice piece! In New England, that style is called a "bowl pipe" and would have used a wooden or reed stem. Here they are dated Late Woodland into Contact period. The color of the material makes me think steatite? Oh, and by all means I'll smoke'm if I got'm :lol:
    Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Charlie, I have a second one that seems to be the same material with a different color. I first thought they may be pottery. You may be correct the material is very fine grained and dense, although not heavy. You can see scratches and tool marks in the bowl and stem holes.

Comment

Maybe they are pottery, Butch. In any event, if steatite it should have a soapy feel to it. Both nice examples of bowl pipes.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Pass that thing this way!  :whistle: lol, those are some nice pipe bowls, makes you wonder what the rest would have looked like with the stem.

Comment

Charlie the material doesn't feel soapy, slightly abrasive if anything !
            Tyson, found in the 60's, had to hide'm from my friends !

Comment

Toke, toke, toke, that.....
              Nice Butch and 2 of them!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Maybe sandstone  :unsure:
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice pipe.
                  Jack

Comment

That is a nice piece Butch, Thanks for sharing, Ray
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Butch Wilson wrote:

Charlie the material doesn't feel soapy, slightly abrasive if anything !
                      Tyson, found in the 60's, had to hide'm from my friends !
                      Sandstone was commonly used as well, so Hoss may be on target.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

It is either sandstone or clay. If it is drilled, it is sandstone. Clay was usually perforated while wet, with two sticks left in place that burned out during the firing process. You should be able to see the drilling marks if it is drilled.

Comment

Cool find Butch!

Comment

I am leaning more toward pottery, the bowl is squared in spots, the tool marks appear gouged instead of drilled. The hole for the stem is conical in shape.

Comment

I would say not pottery. The grainy look, plus the abscence of visible temper, would make this pipe sandstone and A Ft. Ancient vasiform pipe. Actually, these type pipes are almost made entirely of stone. Sandstone, limestone, and pipestone are the most common materials. On occasion there will be one made from chlorite, banded slate, and even hematite.
                              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X