my first piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first piece

this is the first piece of pottery Ive found so far .....so i thought id post it.

Congrats on your first piece of pottery. Good size piece, too!
    Rhode Island

Comment

Nice, still waiting on my first piece, they say it is around here but I think they are crazy!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice piece of pottery. Probably some more close by.

Comment

Nice, I have only found 2 or 3 pieces in a year. And only 1 has markings on it. The other 2 is part of a dimple plate from the mississippian period. All the upper class had them as it says in the book I read. I wish I could find the rest of that plate.

Comment

As thick as that piece looks, there is no doubt more of that pot very close by.
            Greg, you just have to find a late site first to find pottery! Our late sites here in NC are literally covered in ancient ceramics, most about quarter sized. Once in a while (in the good old days) a bottom plow would flip a pot out of the ground, and it would be laying in a broken lump on the surface. If the plow was deep enough, the whole pot would be there. Most often, the plow would cut the pot in half, leaving the bottom below the plow zone.
            Those days are gone- now if we are lucky they run a disc through a field, which just helps pulverize points and pottery for a few inches deep.

Comment

That is an awesome find. Thanks for sharing. I have to agree with Cliff from the looks of those breaks there is more nearby. Good luck.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for all the comments I'll be sure to look all around where I found it and if I find anny pieces to it I'll post them.

Comment

I hear ya Cliff, I came across a Goodall tradition site this summer. Have managed to walk it 4 times, still no pottery. Of course this site has been known of for quite a while but there has to be something there. Maybe next trip.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Persistence is definitely the key! Nice pottery find.

Comment

Remember this the artifacts are always with in a foot when looking.

Comment

Nice find, I don't find any pottery pieces by me.(NY) but I have found some in other areas, Maryland for example, nothing near that large, they are usually 1 inch chunks here and there.

Comment

Working...
                        X