a pink bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a pink bone

here is a pic of the bone inlay on my peace pipe. have been told there is only one animal in the world that has a pink bone. can anyone here guess what animal and what bone it is?

Interesting, Randy
    Unusual bone colouration in animals is usually a function of diet. I would guess that’s sea-otter bone. The sea otter frequently eats the purple sea-urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus, which contains pigments from the algae that it feeds on. These will cause pink colouration (known as echinochrome staining) in both the teeth and bones of sea-otters.
    There is at least one other (and quite possibly more). The leguminous tree Cordeauxia edulis produces a purple pigment called cordeauxiaquinone. Unfussy eaters like goats and camels which browse on the leaves will also acquire pink bones:

Cordeauxia is native to Somalia, although it has been introduced to Georgia in the States on an experimental basis in recent years.

[That's assuming it is bone. Zooming in - as far as I am able - it looks more like shell to me]
    Roger
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Roger
      There is also Pink Ivory wood out of Africa that kind of looks like this; but I think it is sheel like you. 
      Procuring Pink Ivory wood (Rhamnus zeyheri) these days is a lot easier than it used to be. Known as the "royal wood" of the Zulus, only full-fledged members of the Zulu Kingdom's royal family were officially allowed to possess it back in the 1800s. To drive home the idea of this exclusivity — as well as to increase demand abroad — some unknown, 19th-century marketing guru spread the rumor that any non-royal entity (foreigners included) found in possession of Pink Ivory would face the death penalty. Naturally, the wood has been highly sought after by woodworkers around the world ever since. (Nothing sells like the threat of capital punishment!)
      Jack
      Jack

Comment

i too at times think that this was not made by native american indians but rather for them either from south america where silver and copper mines have been around for quite a while and maybe traded to some tribe in my area. i see two crosses etched in the top of the bowl which also could be christiam, not perfect crosses but still makes me wonder.
        thanks for the input look foward to learning more
        but u have to admit it is one of a kind piece

Comment

Working...
        X