tortoise shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tortoise shield

I picked this up at a garage sale. The person I bought it from stated he bought it in Taos New Mexico in the late 1950's or early 1960's. I haven't a clue as to what it is. Is it just a tourist type item or ???? It has horse hair, bear hide, rawhide, hooves, feathers and beads on it. can be held from the back loops to be used as a shield. thanks for any info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	indian6 a [replaced].jpg
Views:	55
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	220951

Click image for larger version

Name:	indian5 a [replaced].jpg
Views:	54
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	220952

It is made from a snapping turtle shell how big is that thing? Turkey tail feathers, deer toes, that might be Beaver and not bear skin. Cool shield!
    I know the Iroquois liked to make rattles from snapper shells but not sure of the other tribes that may have used those shells. I used to know a family of Indians here in CT that were from one of teh New England tribes that would trap Snappers and make soup and use the shells as bowls for dry goods in the home.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Hoss
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

wow thats cool someone put alot of work in to that, thanks for sharing it,,,ts

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Can't help on your item but it is neat.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Very nice item you have there. It looks to be an Iroquois Ceremonial Medicine Rattler. The Snapping Turtle has been used by the Iroquois for centuries. It is used for ceremonial songs only, not for social songs. It is also used by the False Face (Haduwi) society for healing rituals. The False Face Society is just one of the many curing societies found among the Iroquois. Members of the society put on the false faces to visit the lodge of a sick person who has declared themself in need of a cure. With their masks on, and shaking rattles made of the shell of snapping turtles the members who are to effect the cure, creep towards the sick persons home. They scrape their rattles against the door, and enter the house, continuing to shake the rattles. Then ashes and tobacco are used in a ritual meant to drive away the evil spirits and heal the sick person. Anyone who is cured becomes a member of the society, or a man or a woman may join if he or she has a dream about a False Face indicating that it is necessary to become a member.
          Jack

Comment

Thanks to all the replies.   I rely on the experts to let me know what I find.  It is a pretty cool item but my real interest is in WWII things,  particularly vehicles and artillery.  The turtle shield doesn't quite fit in with the tank and command car in the garage so the shield will be for sale or trade (military stuff of course!!)  Again,  I will trust in the experts to let me know what this might be worth.  I can be reached at 925-447-9387 or 510-638-4140 or whenlde@aol.com   and thanks again.

Comment

Greywolf way to drop the knowledge you got it rite for the most part B) scroungerm5 nice artwork! I dont see the false face but I see a representation of one.Still cool. B)

Comment

Working...
              X