Shell Artifacts— “Hammers”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Artifacts— “Hammers”

Of course, I want to post lithic projectile points b/c after all, site called “Arrowheads”. Many times my quartz/quartzite “finds” been prepped, posed, photographed. But pics always look like pointy JARS. If my finds’ harshest non-collecting critics see what appears to be chipping/flaking/knapping , I ask them compare to my photos. Fairly unanimous my pics do not show what can be seen up-close-and-personal. Been suggested dirty ‘em up, use better camera, special lighting. One day.....

Meanwhile, found TomClark’s shell posts inspiring. (Fortunately or not, have almost as many shells as do rocks.) He patiently, generously tolerated and answered all my Qs, After I read all AH information, read, read, read more sources (yall know I love to share documentary research findings, so expect didactic/pedantic reference summary eventually!). Then went thru shells, picked several thot might be artifactual, sent pics to TomClark, who confirmed. And, when conservative, yet-always-kind, WillJo commented background shells in Dog photo looked like artifacts, decided would post.

All found Edisto Island, SC. Shelling big draw for State Park, and collecting allowed except forbidden midden, Spanish Mount, and incredible shell rings.

All but one posted are of thick-shelled“Busycons”. If lip opens to left, called Lightening Whelk, if opens to right, called Knobbed Whelk (what!?🤷🏻‍♀️). Those, conch, and clam shells were favored as tools, altho the People used thick mussel and oyster shells, and several other shells as well. All collectively called “hammers”, and TomClark’s yellow marks emphasize the state of their knobs (“nodules”), and basal ends. They may have been handheld, though the presence of notching high up on shell-lip’s indicative of possible hafting, especially if shell also has hole(s) . The People’s hammers were more often hafted than not.
    ​​​​​
    In yellow, tools with different modifications (those w/o marks prob’ly tools, also, but too exhausted​​ to tell use). The body whorl is mostly removed, exposing the columella. (But the notches on the remaining body whirl are distinctive——-great notches!!). All are 5-6” except for B and C which 3-4”
    . Click image for larger version  Name:	1DF5C9BC-1146-44AF-8EF1-1513D265329C.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	429821
    A, B and C were used as hammers, as noted by nodules and basal tip.
    A.

B, with hole, is a conch, not a whelk (conchs herbivores, whelks omnivores/cannibals!). Strombidae not as strong as Busycon. B was hafted by inserting a handle thru the hole, past the columella, thru notch in lip (barest of notching here), and securing with thongs. The length of the handle indicated whether used sitting or standing.
    B. C.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2A085C66-CC0E-4C0A-A6DA-1A41AB3756C9.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	429822 Click image for larger version  Name:	550B895D-A8D5-4920-966C-5CF0BB947725.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	429823

I think D, E, F were used as picks, because tips still intact, as are nodules except for those effected by removal of body whorl. Basal columella would’ve been ground to a cutting edge.
    D. E. F.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E28A2E24-8B44-40B0-AA25-320CEFE09030.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	27.4 KB ID:	429824 Click image for larger version  Name:	4B3B9361-7872-4823-9079-5459F301B87A.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	27.9 KB ID:	429825 Click image for larger version  Name:	3F4CFEE9-1F07-47AB-82B6-589129C02525.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	28.9 KB ID:	429826

THANK YALL FOR LOOKING! Got lots more for later....
    Last edited by Cecilia; 03-10-2020, 01:00 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lightning-whelk.jpg Views:	9 Size:	23.6 KB ID:	429846 When they made any shell hammer, the first thing they had to do is knock off some of the thin, sharp lip to get to a thicker part. Then they bashed the spikey spires and shortened the columnella by knocking off the thin. sharp end of it. The last thing they did was finish the tool by making a notch (or not!) and some hafting hole(s) and forming a bit by grinding (adze) or pecking/grinding (hammer). You can recognize even broken ones by seeing the stages of this process. It also helps to know if you are collecting on a site and have found other pieces....like you have! You have some great sites for shell tools where you hunt!! Picture of unmodified Busycon shows how thin and sharp the lip and end of columnella is and why/how the "blank" is modified to make a hammer. Columnella had to be shortened, too.

Last edited by tomclark; 03-10-2020, 08:24 AM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Professor Shellman! With your continued help, and my stash, we could provide lil’ shell series for interest and enjoyment of AH beach-freaks. Please use shellsense to amend, revise, modify, alter, augment, refine, correct posts b/c want no errata! (Learned new word today, corrigendum, but can’t use it yet!)

Great show ! I like the involvement with Tom & Johnny ! I do not know a thing about shell other than beads.. I’ll have to take time to study this post! TY Cc !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, LinnyMan, for your informative posts, your responsive posts, your funny posts, your attentive posts, your (very) witty posts, and every post in between!

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      If you only smile, it’s good enough !

Wonderful post, glad you shared the information and posting again
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      And thank you! I have been learning from you since I joined!

this book will make you an instant expert,,,well kinda,, florida boy . Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	430319 Click image for larger version

Views:	150
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	430320 Click image for larger version

Views:	165
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	430321 Click image for larger version

Views:	158
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	430322 Click image for larger version

Views:	155
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	430323
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Love books!

Thanks for posting these. I've spent time in Edisto but have never paid much attention to the shells other than how beautiful they are. Have you been to the mound in Edisto? I have to go search for shell artifacts next time I'm there! You got to get the book Harold shows.
    South Carolina

Comment

Those are some cool examples of shell artifacts.C.....nice
      SW Connecticut

Comment

I got too excited, and posted too many pics. Here are ones discussed but lost in Cecilia-La-la-Land.
        These should have shown up first, right after reference to TomClark’s yellow marks emphasizing state of knobs and tips:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	D715E743-3D77-4236-98A3-375353265C59.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	12.9 KB ID:	431536 Click image for larger version  Name:	0D196E10-5BCC-4097-A1B4-6720D059961E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	16.9 KB ID:	431537

And this is the missing “A”:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2C39A7EB-F687-4630-B9DA-C9FC3E69D6A6.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	431569
        Last edited by Cecilia; 03-16-2020, 07:38 PM.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          though similar in size, the one on the left is more robust and more wear/use on the outer spikes and on the body....a much better example overall woi!

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Even with the “clio” bites?

I don't know anything about shell artifacts but if Tom says they are I will go with him. Nice ones cc
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Means a lot coming from you! He’s teaching me just like you did.
      Working...
      X