ID:	430817 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	430818 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	430819 I'm geeking looking at the soapstone that Hal's been posting LOLOL... I think I've found only 1-2 small pieces. It has to be severely traded to get down here. No soapstone for you!? Get big Busycon. Drink cup, not food cookery I think. Pinellas County, FL
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Yep, wouldn't make good sense to haul heavy soapstone that far south for a dish. You don't believe the shells could be used for baking? Seems the conchs would be perfect - probably the equivalent of a TV dinner in that it already came with food, and was ready to be buried/baked: would also give you your daily calcium supplement
    Last edited by Olden; 03-14-2020, 10:29 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure they did use large conch shells to cook directly on coals and for general eating/serving. Have found plenty of cruder ones with burn on the bottom.

sorry about photos ...shell collection is in storage have to do photo of photo...European 1500 etchings show fl.indians using them in a black drink ceremony...always was looking for one with residue...extra nice finished edges on yours ..I think a special black drink one would have finished edges also like the one in 2nd photo from key Marco fl...but then I guess you knew all that stuff...thanks.hal. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	430839 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	430838
    Floridaboy.

Comment

That's cool Tom
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Thot I saw some too-burned Shell “pots” in my research pics from Florida? Guess that why if used them for cooking, put ‘em over coals and not direct fire?
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah and when they burn they get more fragile..

I’m learning , thanks Tom.
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Working...
        X