• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addendum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	431254 additional notes concerning the use of raccoon bones among the fl. indians,,,in 75 I met up with a diver who was working a site in the ancilla River in north fl., I was trading a fossil leg bone for some broken fishhooks and he showed me several of these,this was the only one with the bone and pitch intact, he also had several raccoon bones,,said he showed em to the archeologists up at the state museum , the said we find the main part and the baculum but we’ve never seen one intact, anyway I got some poalaroid shots and left,don’t have the photos so did this quick sketch, hope this is interesting to you folks. ( no ..of course the feathers weren’t there.

Floridaboy.

Nice I saw a few of those at one of the Alabama arrowhead shows.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That is cool. Under the right circumstances you can find some pretty cool organic relics put together in ways that you wouldn't originally picture. I wouldn't have associated a baculum and a plummet-y looking bone as being part of a compound fish hook.

About 1700 miles Southeast of Tampa I used to find a lot of little stingray spines with cut bone handles. It wasn't until I found the one on the right still in position that I figured out that were associated. Before that one I just figured the spines were left overs from a meal, and the bone was used for something. The other picture are some finds that site, all bone gomerized but otherwise natural.

Bad pictures from an old digital camera, the frame has been in storage for about 15+ years. Crocodile scutes, turtle bone, bone needles & awls, fish hook preform, a bunch of cut and polished teeth and misc. bones, small bone flute and a couple of bone harpoon points. (I kept the items that looked cut/polished or not native to the island, but most of the midden was fishbones, shells, ash & sand. A lot of years of living and eating on these spots.)

Name:	Sting Ray.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	431292

Name:	spines 2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	431293

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome , we have few if any organics here. The NA people utilized everything, and you’ve proved it right there ! TY

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        i love the word gomerized, that’s goin in my vocabulary.

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool Joshua

Now that is awesome that's a side of NA's I did not know about I could imagine some fella tossing that out and hooking into a tarpon or snook handlining..... awesome...and clovisoid that's quite the collection really like those knifes great show fellas 👏👏👏

Comment

This whole thread is full of WoW!
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

besides showing artifacts, what I’m doing with my posts is fishing , i thro a post out there to see what I can catch and wow !,,that’s what I’m talkin about , very nice, I get to see some south Florida. stuff. p.s.i’d say I had a pretty good day trolling.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Work em Hal !

• clovisoid
            clovisoid commented
            Editing a comment
            I figured you wouldn't mind if I tossed a picture on your thread.

nope, ...a bone handle in first and second pic. ..insert microliths into holes and you have a Swiss army scriber...third, obvious ..forth I inserted a microlith in an antler handle,.. fifth is a bone pin inserted into an antler tip,,with pitch,,found this way and never been apart ( no I don’t know what it was used for ) .all are from the shell middens at tick isl. on the St. John’s river Florida....good preservation on these, but treated em anyway

Views:	215
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	431342 Click image for larger version

Views:	205
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	431343 Click image for larger version

Views:	182
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	431344 Click image for larger version

Views:	217
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	431345 Click image for larger version

Views:	218
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	431346
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Great stuff...That’s new information to me and thanks for sharing.....Sweet!
            North Central Kentucky

Comment

Working...
            X