Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	431428 Click image for larger version

Views:	326
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	431429 apparently there existed in the southeastern u.s. a complex of specific motifs, it extended from Oklahoma to Florida, from the Great Lakes to key Marco florida, this is one such motif....found in west central Florida in the 70’s, pic. is from a photo, motif is of the open or the weeping eye, not the forked eye, the sherd is a rolled rim weeden isl. red , the red slip is from red ochre, this was the go to book for motifs used within the complex at the time it was written, and like many old things it’s probably better than new.....just noticed the eye in the hand on the cover of the book...lotta diff. variations... Click image for larger version

Views:	356
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	431427
    Floridaboy.

Cool. I've always had an interest in all this. And the meaning behind the motifs. Must have had, I would think anyway, a profound meaning to the followers of this cult. Nice sherd.

Rhode Island

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks a bunch, didn’t know about the shell pendant connection ..

That’s one of my favorite books. A friend of mine dug a paneled water bottle in the late 60’s that had the alternating handprints on it, two in red, two in white. On the paneled sides the colors alternated from red panel/white hand to white panel/red hand. Simply stunning.

it is one of my favorites of his many finds.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      wow I’ll bet he was on cloud 12

Click image for larger version

Name:	QuigleyGorget.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	431475 This shell gorget has a hand motif. Pinellas County, FL Saw it found. The finder sold it rather quickly as well as a filthy baybottom Clovis point.... $ talks I guess. I don't think I would ever, ever sell a find like this. On another site in Pinellas a friend found a rib bone with an eye motif on it.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      moments to last a lifetime, WOW !.

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s beautiful!
Working...