Take a look Hal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a look Hal

This is the piece I told you about its creek worn but I think you can still see the outline pretty good. I call it a pottery face. Its hollow on the backside and smooth along the edges. I was told it was probably attached to a pot for decoration. 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200710_115248.jpeg
Views:	391
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	469352 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200710_115252.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	469353
    NW Georgia,

Which piece is it? Lower right, the larger piece. Or the round piece. top center?? I'd like to see a good photo of the face...front and back...
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, and where did you find this? I'm curious.

Yupp, exactly what it is, ..I call these the bug eyed type..they would fit in the Safety Harbor culture here , and there similar to one’s in the Caribbean...many have slits for eyes, Some folks think eyes closed in death thing, who knows, ...Thanks for keepin me busy this morning , I gave it more of a 3D look I’m sure it’s flatter than that...lol.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9864C467-A23E-4D5F-8318-ADD6530EDFAC.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	469378
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Good drawing Hal for the big piece on the bottom right in case anyone would want to know Loyd Schroeder said it's a piece of a Cherokee salt pan. I gave him the other piece I found for his display. I have Loyds pottery book signed by him. He has since retired from Peach State archeology society. Thanks Hal I've never seen another like it yet all found in NW Georgia
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• bl101
        bl101 commented
        Editing a comment
        I know Loyd, he's got a bunch of my pieces documented on the peachstate archeological site. Man SurfaceHunter I bet we've been at the Etowah Indian Mound Artifact day at the same time and didn't even know it.
        Last edited by bl101; 07-13-2020, 10:11 AM.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably I went 2 years ago they didn't have it this year due to the clovid.

Nice find. Glenn...that's pretty cool
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the new avatar Red

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Glenn it was put on by Hoss 2 days ago ....He had to redo my acct .my acct wasn't letting me access mail or notifications. I think he spent a lot of time fixing mine and Paul's accts. So not only is he a well respected artifact information resource...also a tech savvy guy..that keeps this site the best on the internet..

Nice find surface ....thanks for sharing
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Benji it's a old find but just wanted Hals opinion on it seeing he is the Pottery Master 😃

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Disregard that last remark.

SurfaceHunter Hal Gorges I found this In North GA years ago and never got it id. It kinda looks like your drawing hal. Click image for larger version  Name:	15946502224902166332788837463958.jpg Views:	6 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	469728 Click image for larger version  Name:	15946502544312796144294710160141.jpg Views:	7 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	469729
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bl101; 07-13-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re the stonemasrer, and you don’t know! tsk,tsk,tsk, what’s this world coming to?..Wait a sec. don’t answer that...

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Now we can discuss the man animal representations , it was big medicine in the Southern death cult beliefs...Yours kinda has that look, and it actually looks more mountain lion than human..Watcha think?..look at that nose, it might have been made quick but the potter sure captured it...

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I enjoy your thoughts on pieces like this Hal.

I haven't studied pottery from the south to much, or any outside of my area. But it looks like it conforms to the faces we have up here, from the Susquehannock culture, 1600 - 1675. There's two types of faces. One that is incised right into the decorative lines, and forms part of the rim decoration. And another type that is molded separately and added after the pottery vessel is almost finished. These are called portrait, or maskette faces. I'm not sure if slits for eyes, the pinched look around the nose, open or closed mouth, means anything specific. There's a discussion about that up here with our pottery. I honestly think it was simply an artistic flair dependant on how the potter wanted to decorate the vessel. I explain it this way. Even hundreds or thousands of years ago, people were creating objects of art. Because this is what people do, simply. People create. If someone in the next state was making home made knife handles, and I was also, each handle would be different based on what we see as appealing. But they would still both be handles. The way we make things is simply to explore our ability to create and be artistic. And I think the Natives did about the same thing.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you sure? I can see it on my end...

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Your back now but early this morning you weren't

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, Hoss contacted me. he had to do something to my profile so I could get my messages. he has it fixed. Good Old Hoss!!!

Mine was definitely made to attach to a pot like I said I haven't seen another one like it from my area. I keep it under glass and don't handle it so it's safe
      NW Georgia,

Comment

SurfaceHunter It's definitely pottery. I had never seen anything like it until the piece you posted.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking yours might be from a trade pipe

Just saw this very unusual piece ,Hey Jethro and I are the pottery guru’s
        just kidding just Swiftcreek stuff

Comment

Actually think it’s a lid as I agree with Paul on artist .

Comment

That's a great find Glen!
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Only one I've ever seen from my area, thanks
          Working...
          X