Compound Dog Effigy Teapot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Dog Effigy Teapot

This was found on a site about 4 miles as the crow flies from the place I usually hunt.

The guy who found it dug it in the late 70’s and immediately sold it to a prominent collector here. It’s in the Museum of Native American History (MONAH)in northwest arkansas. It’s one of the finest pieces of Quapaw pottery I’ve ever seen.

As was common on many of these native sites, a church was built there(it’s high ground) in the late 1800’s. It burned in the late 70’s, and the rubble was cleared away. Two guys I know dug 32 painted vessels from under the footprint of that old building.

This would be post contact, very late Quapaw. They held the dogs of war that the Spaniards had with them in very high esteem. They carried Spanish Mastiffs with them, and apparently the natives were amazed by animals that would do whatever the Spanish told them too, as well as the size and ferocity of them.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Wow! That's some piece. Thanks for showing.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

A most excellent artifact and story.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Love that piece it is a fine artifact.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wow that’s fantastic!
          South Carolina

Comment

I thought that looked familiar! I saw it somewhere before. I think it was in an Overstreet guide, wasn't it?
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Very interesting story to go along with a very unique piece. Thanks for sharing.
              South Carolina

Comment

That is one of my favorite relics, absolutely amazing.
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Cool
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for sharing. It’s very cool
                      South Dakota

Comment

Hi Jethro. That is an amazing piece of pottery. it is an interesting story about the site where it was found and your connection to the area. Because I knew nothing about the Quapaw and wanted to learn something about them, I did just a little online research and learned a lot about them and what some scholars have said. Your thread as well as many others have stimulated me to learn so much more than I did when I first joined our forum. When you say post contact, do you think this piece because of the Mastif effigy was created after the French lost the Seven Years War and the area west of the Miss. River was taken over by the Spanish? Or do you think it was created as a result of the DeSoto expedition since many scholars think his expedition crossed the River in the area of Phillips County, AK? It seems that scholars are not really sure that the Quapaw were in the area as early as the DeSoto expedition. I think some say yes and others say no. Either way it is an amazing piece.

Comment

According to the Desoto Chronicles, they encountered the Quapaw at several locations.
                          Another link between the Spanish and the Quapaw is the chevron bead found at the Parkin site.

The beginning of the teapot motif of the Quapaw has been dated to a few years after the Desoto expedition, which makes sense that they would see the Spanish using a teapot and making one of their own.
                          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                          X