Pottery questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery questions

I don’t find much pottery. All I’ve found at my go-to spot fits in the palm of my hand. I love finding it though because there is a such a variety of patterns… I think it always displays nicely… though I sure would love to find a cob impressed piece again. Anyway, my question is about the middle piece on the left. There seems to be a pattern on the inside and outside — why is that? I’ve never seen a piece decorated on both sides, but like I said, i
    don’t find a lot of it.

The bottom photo is the “inside” which as you can see seems to have a pattern.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A6940F9-ABDE-4DBC-A60D-02648D660F13.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	677957

Name:	F20344D9-E3BE-4BCD-B3E6-CC8D264DCF75.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	677956

Maybe the potter as the potter was using the cob on the outside she needed to adjust the shape so she gave the inside wall a couple of taps with the same cob she was using on the outside.🇺🇸.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

I haven't seen that before, but Hal's suggestion seems highly probable.....cool pieces.....I find pottery from time to time and most of mine are usually w/o designs.....I like to find those pieces with designs such as yours
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

That one isn’t cob impressed…I guess it’s cord marked but the same concept would apply… that is tapping the inside. It certainly seems plausible at least!

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
        Maybe the potter as the potter was using the cob on the outside she needed to adjust the shape so she gave the inside wall a couple of taps with the same cob she was using on the outside.🇺🇸.

Comment

My guess is , when forming the pot they just used the stamp , or whatever they were using to help shape it . Last minute , creative .. we will never know . I have never found anything like that and I find buckets of pottery in Georgia .
          Look up Swiftcreek paddle stamp to get an idea what some NA used in the south for patterns . I believe this will open your eyes up to a new world in patterns .

Comment

Hi all. I have a bunch of examples of pottery mostly from eastern Long Island I went through some and grabbed a few examples that were marked on both sides.

Exterior side

Name:	818C6C10-6F60-4989-9783-AAA9A252EFAC.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	678371
            interior side

Name:	7BAB65DA-CA75-47A0-9FEC-7EC071308972.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	678372

Name:	B670FA2B-1A17-4B38-B71A-135650EF7383.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	678373

New York

Comment

• cm215
              cm215 commented
              Editing a comment
              Very interesting! I wonder why that would be… if they were the top of jugs/pots that were more visible or simply something like a bowl? I find it odd that they decorate the inside.
          Working...
          X