need help with some pottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with some pottery

Some of this I dug the other day. Some was laying around where others had been digging and must not care for pottery. We were near the west coast Cedar Key area.
    Last edited by Fla.Hillbilly; 07-16-2023, 08:28 PM.

Hal is King of Pottery, particularly from Florida. No doubt, he’ll be chiming in….
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re a sweetheart

Nice grab Dave.. get as much of it as you can while the getting is good.. nothing comes to mind right now but I will research it for you and a PM🤗🇺🇸..If they only knew what they were throwing away..Tsk, Tsk,,Tsk. 👌🇺🇸
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah right nothing comes to mind. But pottery precious, needs pm

Dave , that sure looks like the Stamped Swiftcreek pottery I find in Georgia . They have other branches like the Santa Rosa tribes . It’s a little N of your area . But who is to say they didn’t teach and learn this technique as far down as crystal river .
    Attached Files

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Swift creek is found all the way south to Tampa Bay, Tam.So is Deptford...👍🇺🇸
      Last edited by Hal Gorges; 07-16-2023, 06:33 PM.

We find so much of it that I do leave pieces like that for the next guy . I find piles that others leave as well . If it’s a well established camp you stumble over it .

Comment

Then I posted a new pattern for me in May . It looks like your piece on the bottom left . Or very similar .?

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s so cool Tam.🤗🇺🇸

Yes. Tam Queen of Pottery! I am proud I know royalty!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I have to agree with Hal, save it all. Different times I have found pieces that fit together. Besides they always make a very nice frame of pattern styles. K
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Some sites the “save it all” Mentality would lead to a broken back.😇

I could take you to dozens of Mississippian sites where you could fill buckets with pottery sherds and never make a dent.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
          X