Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me identify this pottery shard? Good chance it's not Native American. Found in Atlanta, GA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me identify this pottery shard? Good chance it's not Native American. Found in Atlanta, GA.

Hey hey, this is my first time posting here.

Yesterday, in Atlanta, GA (Fulton/Dekalb County) I found a pottery shard in a creek in an area that is known for Native American artifacts.
    This piece does not seem like ancient Native American but maybe something more modern or European?

I've included a penny to help estimate the overall size. Different picture angles of the same piece are above.
    I've searched online and Google Lens but not found a solid match.

Anyway, I would be curious to see what yall think!
    Thanks in advance!​

Tam is north Georgia Pottery Queen. She will know and undoubtedly help you when she sees post.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Actually in South Georgia some months . I would wait for others to weigh in here but ; All modern pottery from the late 1800’s early 1900’s I find are that are not Native American are all glazed . Or they are porcelain .
      With that being said this could be NA just from that the sandy looking composition , and the simple design .

It’s so easy for me because all of mine are stamped Swiftcreek . There is a look and feel I know now .even if it’s not stamped .
      Your piece has that look in composition .

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, Tam, in my mind been seeing you green lil mountains North Georgia! Wow, unless you on/near coast, South Georgia kinda flat, sandy, scrub-oaky …..No wonder you hunt with gun sometimes…..😉

Just went down a rabbit hole looking at salt glazed pottery very old from European settlers . Nothing with that simple design . The creek worked that pieces down .
      Let’s see what others say.

Comment

Thanks for the input so far!

I would definitely love to hear the opinions of other folks.

The Swiftcreek pottery looks very similar in terms of the color and composition.

Additionally, the pottery is definitely ridged/stamped. Where those dark, line patterns exist, the pottery is pressed/stamped inwards.

Comment

An interesting piece.. It has no curve to it and the circles are way too big for any Swift Creek pottery I have seen. I’m just guessing it might be early European or pioneer pottery.. maybe like more of a tile type thing. Those are just some thoughts, I really don’t know for sure.👍🇺🇸
          Floridaboy.

Comment

These are a few small sherds with different patterns
            Of the Swiftcreek from South West Georgia.
            small lines .

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for the input everyone!

FYI, Hal, it does have a curve! And when i run my thumb on either side, the curve feels pretty obvious/intentional.
              See below.

Comment

Working...
              X