This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper rattle bell

Today i woke up wanted to find an rattle bell, and there it is ..
    In chimalli in macahuitl
  • Answer selected by Hoss at 01-07-2024, 12:55 AM.

Have a look at crotal bells. Always a good metal detecting find especially if you can find a 'ringer'

Crotal bells, Crotal, rumbler, rumbler bell, animal bells, sheep bell

Comment

• Tenoch
      Tenoch commented
      Editing a comment
      This are for first phase of mexican metallurgy,700 - 1100, archeologuist says that this technology was bring for south american from Ecuador,They went up on rafts looking for spondylus that, due to demand, decreased on their coasts, and there was no period of experimentation unless they appeared well manufactured and similar to those from the south, together with certain similar vessels, this on the coasts of Michoacan, in the Purepecha empire. , whom the Aztecs could never dominate.
      The large ones like this, were worn on the waist and the small ones were worn on the wrists and anklets, they are usually related to burials
      Last edited by Tenoch; 01-06-2024, 10:43 AM.

I found something similar at a De Soto site. Said to be a mule bell tied in multiples around the neck.
    Attached Files

Comment

Have a look at crotal bells. Always a good metal detecting find especially if you can find a 'ringer'

Crotal bells, Crotal, rumbler, rumbler bell, animal bells, sheep bell

Comment

• Tenoch
        Tenoch commented
        Editing a comment
        This are for first phase of mexican metallurgy,700 - 1100, archeologuist says that this technology was bring for south american from Ecuador,They went up on rafts looking for spondylus that, due to demand, decreased on their coasts, and there was no period of experimentation unless they appeared well manufactured and similar to those from the south, together with certain similar vessels, this on the coasts of Michoacan, in the Purepecha empire. , whom the Aztecs could never dominate.
        The large ones like this, were worn on the waist and the small ones were worn on the wrists and anklets, they are usually related to burials
        Last edited by Tenoch; 01-06-2024, 10:43 AM.

That one sure looks right

Comment

Mine sure looks like a Crotal bell.
        Attached Files

Comment

Brown and Connaway have each devoted over 50 years of their lives to investigating thearchaeology of the Southeastern United States. The Lower Mississippi Valley has been apoint of overlap in their work, as has the study of historic trade bells. In this volume theyeach contribute three essays relating to trade bells, four of the works having beenpublished previously and two being new to the field. "Jeffrey M. Mitchem, noted Southeastern U.S. scholar, says in his Foreword to the book,Both Ian and John have published several bell studies in diverse venues, and some of these are difficult to find. Some are out of print, and others are in periodicals that are difficult to locate. Archaeologists and other researchers will therefore welcome this compendium of papers in a single volume. For the first time all the pertinent papers are in a single volume, and researchers will no longer have to gather a big stack of books to clutter their lab space and strain their pocketbooks. A welcome addition to the archaeologist’s toolkit!"

If anyone is interested in trade bells a new book just came out at the end of last year. A friend of mine co-authored it, see the link above. It is a compilation of the work done over the years by 2 very thorough archaeologists/writers. I haven’t gotten my copy yet so I can’t say first hand about this work but I have books by both men and from their previous work I will say that it should be good. John was tasked to study the bells found on the shipwreck in Matagorda Bay of LaSalle’s ship LaBelle., so that is one report that will be in there.

Comment

Working...
          X