STATE ROCKS! lets see um'!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STATE ROCKS! lets see um'!

im sure almost all of us here pick up more than just artifacts to take home.so i was wondering how many of us have examples of our local state rock specimens? lets see some,even if someone else has already posted one from yer area lets see Your's!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

heres mine, its called CUMBERLANDITE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberlandite nots the prettiest but its ours! and its magnetic!

call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Petoskey stone...Michigan State stone.

Comment

well i dont have a specimen of ours
        but minnesota's state rock is the lake superior agate
          turkeytail, that is a very cool looking rock
        is it knappable?

Comment

sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:

well i dont have a specimen of ours
          but minnesota's state rock is the lake superior agate
            turkeytail, that is a very cool looking rock
          is it knappable?
            No way but fairly soft to grind...Love Agate! Went to Copper Harbor when I was a kid and collected a few.

Comment

Well I don't know about "Rocks" I prefer the term specimen.
            The Texas state gem stone is the Mason County Blue Topaz and the Texas State Fossil is "Fossil Palm" as far as I know of.

I like the Pet stone stuff amazing ain't it.
            Jess B.
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Here's a cobble of Cumberlandite, about 15 pounds. Very dense and heavy for the volume. People constantly confuse Cumberlandite for a meteorite, and it's the most common meteorwrong in RI and Ma. It's RI's state rock because it only outcrops on one place on the face of the Earth- Iron Mine Hill, in Cumberland, RI. The glacier scraped the hill and when the ice sheet melted, chunks fell out in a "boulder train" with the apex at Iron Mine Hill, and chunks found as far south as Martha's Vineyard.

Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks, Jess. Those are nice! Our state mineral is Bowenite, related to jade. If I can find it my wife has a killer raw specimen with deep color.
                Rhode Island

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

Petoskey stone...Michigan State stone.
                  I thought Bob Seger was the state rock. :crazy:  :crazy:
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Has a kid I was taken to Marble Colorado and did pick up some up, They are not in my possession. But are still where I know they are safe. I still remember the trip. like it was yesterday. you drive down the road and it lines the two lane highway.
                      http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/...ule_marble.htm
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I had no idea what my state rock was so I had to google it. Seems it is flourite but I would have guessed Burlington!http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibi...s/mineral.html
                      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Wasn't sure about Indiana either Ray, but not surprised, Limestone.
                        Salem Limestone

Indiana State House

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Ohio's state gem stone is flint !:woohoo:

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have any specimens from CT or TN I did run across this link on wiki with and alphabetical list enjoy.

I do have some garnets some place from Roxbury CT but not sure when I will come across that box.
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

While I don't have any samples handy (they are all at the office), the state rock of NC is the Mount Airy granite. Fun fact: it isn't *technically* a granite. Oops!

Comment

Working...
                              X