Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Stone

hey fellas
    anyone know what kind of lithic this is?
    many thanks in advance

If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Cool looking material. I know I have no clue, but we need to have a state and county for others to chime in.
    Thanks for sharing a cool lithic.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I feel a little stupid. What country? still I will be no help. :dunno:
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

If it is shiny and not wet it might be a piece of slag
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Looks like slag to me. I find it around here also.  Never found such big piece of it though.
          I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

The pictures are blurry, but I can see air bubbles, SLAG!!
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

yeah sorry about the photos. the stone didnt like them either. the finish is kinda matt
              but reflects the light at certain angles. i know that sounds dumb.
              im in england. can i ask ` if it has bubbles in it will it not be pre historic?`

Comment

are you taking the photos with a digital camera or a phone? If using a phone try wiping the lens. If a camera try backing off with the camera. if it has a macro function then use that. It is usually indicated by a small flower icon.

Macro is for taking good close up photos Good lighting and a steady hand and you can get amazing results. I shot this off hand with no tripod or special gear just a point and shoot sony digital camera.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

yup on the fone. thanks for the tips Hoss. lent my camera to my mum while she`s in spain.
                  will try better next time lol

Comment

Outside of areas where volcanic rocks are present, anything that looks glassy and has bubbles in it is likely to be man-made glass or glass slag. For slag, the bubbles are no indicator of age, and for glass itself only an indicator that it’s hand-made glass rather than a modern industrial product. I live in a grade 2* listed building and the original glass (dating from the 1820’s) is full of small bubbles and imperfections. It’s a pain (pane?) when any of it has to be replaced because we are compelled to use reproduction Crown glass made using traditional methods and it’s really expensive.
                    Slag is an impure waste product from the glass furnace and frequently has that opaque appearance with zones of greys and greens or sometimes blues. There is another commonly found material which can have a similar appearance known as “frit”, which is usually green and may have a yellowish tinge if wood ash was used as an ingredient.
                    Frit is an intermediary product, whereby the raw materials for glass (usually sand , crushed sandstone/chert/flint and sometimes ash) were roasted for a day or more to help bind them together and eliminate much of the unwanted gas so that the final melting stage proceeded more quickly and with a better result. This intermediate product was cooled, broken up into chunks with hammers and stored in a dry place for remelting. Its often found in large quantities scattered around former woodland areas where “forest glass” was produced.

[picture from: Archaeological Evidencefor Glassworking - Guidelines for Best Practice (English heritage 2011)]
                    During the mass exodus of Protestant Calvinists/Hugenots from France (to escape Catholic persecution), craftsmen with glass-making skills began arriving in the southeast of England in the early 1570s from Lorraine. It was these craftsmen who introduced the practice of “fritting”. They initially settled around Chiddingfold on the Surrey/Sussex border and then progressively westwards and then northwards. By 1580 they were at Buckholt in Hampshire, then in Gloucestershire and Herefordshire, reaching Worcestershire by 1585 and ultimately as far north as Newcastle.
                      They produced what is colloquially known as “forest glass”, using beechwood charcoal as a preferred fuel. Their itinerant nature was in part because their strict religious views were unpopular with local people and they had a reputation for decimating vast swathes of woodland in competition with the need for wood as domestic fuel, for construction, mining, brick-making, iron-making and ship-building. Vast amounts of wood were needed to produce glass in this way and, despite efforts to manage woodland by coppicing and pollarding, forest glass-houses often had to relocate. It wasn’t long before the use of wood from common land as fuel for glass-making was prohibited. Some of the makers switched to coal and others gained permission to site their furnaces in woodland owned by the Church, since the main use of the glass was for church windows.
                    The practice of fritting continued into the early 19th Century.
                    [PS: Truly ancient glass almost always develops a pearly irridescent surface sheen after long periods of burial]
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

amazing stuff roger. really cool info there thanks.

Comment

out of focus but slag is my guess

Comment

Are those pine beetles playing leap frog?????

Comment

Working...
                          X