Fossil? Of what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossil? Of what?

Is this a fossil? If so then what is it? The stone has an hourglass shape. It appears to have a thin shell of different material. The ends are convex. It measures 56 mm long. The diameter of the smaller midsection varies from 12 to 15 mm. The diameter of the larger end varies from 16 to 19 mm. It weighs 25.6 grams.

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Where did you find it? Location baby!   

Comment

Indiana74 wrote:

Where did you find it? Location baby!   
      Hey Shea, I was hoping that location was not needed....Beeeeeeeeeecause it was included in a lot of artifacts from Kodiak Island Alaska. I don't believe this piece is an artifact.
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

Has me stumped! ( which isn't too hard to do) reminds me of some kind segmented fossil to though.... Would have made a good bead if drilled :dunno: I'm anxious to hear what it really is....
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Those white areas look kind of like quartz veins to me? Maybe just a unique geo fact :dunno:
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I think you got it right with geofact! Mother nature can produce some pretty cool stuff!

Comment

That white streak appears to be the edge of the thin shell. The shell appears to be a different material than what I see on the ends. I will try a couple more pictures.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

This is just me thinking out loud...
                If those are veins of a harder material,  like quartz,  it could explain the unique Hourglass shape.  If this were trapped In a pocket in a stream for a long period of time rolling,  the harder vein would wear less, than the surrounding  Softer material, creating this hourglass shape. Just my theory.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

This is just me thinking out loud...
                  If those are veins of a harder material,  like quartz,  it could explain the unique Hourglass shape.  If this were trapped In a pocket in a stream for a long period of time rolling,  the harder vein would wear less, than the surrounding  Softer material, creating this hourglass shape. Just my theory.
                  Hey Josh, That's an interesting thought. I'm not ready to accept that however because the ends are not the same color as the sides.
                  Michigan Yooper

Comment

Yeah , that's brain boggling!   Maybe from being handled? I don't really know how to explain that? Maybe the veins separates two similar but different materials like a sandwich?  I'm just rambling now.... Hep! Hep!    :blink:  :rolf:
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

It's not a shell I'm sorry darling I wanted it to be something. Dammit Jim!!!!

Comment

Grrrrrrrrr Maybe it's a finger bone of a Gigantopithecus.  :laugh:  :rolf:
                        Michigan Yooper

Comment

When I was going through that train of thought (fossil) the part that got me was both ends are round, and I would expect a segmented fossil or jointed bone to have a socketed or receiving end?  :dunno:  Hopefully someone else will have an idea....
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That's a natural, geofact, shaped by water erosion. The ends that are different in color were simply exposed more to the elements, and became worn down to the smoothness and color. The quartz veins kept the ends somewhat larger, retarding erosion, while the softer middle section became eroded away.
                            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I'm inclined to think geological.  But what about a segment of worm tube ?

Comment

Working...
                              X