LAVA ROCK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAVA ROCK?

I found this rock this weekend at the river. I only brought home two rocks, and this is the second. There are numerous rock types in the river bed, some just stand out more than others. Can this one be identified?
    Thanks, Pam

You ever seen Joe Dirt!.....seriously it kind of looks like asphalt that's been tumbling in the river.  I could be way off!  Still a neat rock!

Comment

Pam
      I with Dan, I thinks its a big ball of tar. See if it will melt in a coffe can on the burner. Or you can taste it and see if its got that tar ball taste. LOL.
      Jack

Comment

It's rock guys.
        Pam

Comment

Pam that might be slag, Slag is a glass like bi-product found around iron foundries. I know it may not look like glass but after tumbling around in the river for a bit the abrasion from the sand gives it that pitted look like in the second picture.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss1958usa wrote:

Pam that might be slag, Slag is a glass like bi-product found around iron foundries. I know it may not look like glass but after tumbling around in the river for a bit the abrasion from the sand gives it that pitted look like in the second picture.
              That is a possibility, Matt.  It's actually a beautiful rock.  Because of the darkness of the piece, it really doesn't show the attributes that I would like for it to.  I can see what looks to be glass-like rock in the crevaces on the, (mutated) ,  side of the rock.  There are also other pieces of different color specks of rock on the piece.  I didn't taste it,  :laugh:, but if Jack would like to he has my blessing!  I took another pic, but it probably isn't any better than the first.  Thanks for your input!
            Pam

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

Pam
              I with Dan, I thinks its a big ball of tar. See if it will melt in a coffe can on the burner. Or you can taste it and see if its got that tar ball taste. LOL.
              Jack
                I can distinguish the difference between tar and rock, Jack.  Thanks so much for your faith in me.
              Pam

Comment

Pam
                See any resemblance to the picture below? If so, I think you know what I'm gonna say it might be.
                Roger
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hi, Roger.  My guess was lava rock.  I was at the river, and it caught my eye because it was wet and it glistened with the sun beating down on it.  Hotter than blue blazes out there!  Anyway, there is a black glassy looking material in the (crevasses), spelling?, which reminded me of obsidian...which I knew it wasn't.  Then I thought it looked as though it had been covered in a molten material that had cooled over another rock, as the other side did not resemble the, "mutated", as I call it, portion of the same rock. 
                  I don't know any more than that.  What can you tell me about it?
                  Thanks, Pam

Comment

Pam
                    The pic I posted for possible comparison is a sample of porphyritic basalt, with small phenocrysts of olivine (the pale yellowish crystals) which commonly occur in volcanic rocks like this. So, yes, that's lava.
                    That's what I'd say you have there (with the caveat that I only have a picture to go on... blah, blah, yada, yada)
                    Roger
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

blah...blah...yada...yada...THANKS for your time.  I like knowing what I have and much fun guessing! 
                      Pam

Comment

:dry:          :laugh: Pam, you found a rock.....well, gee howdy!

Comment

roustabout149 wrote:

blah...blah...yada...yada...THANKS for your time.  I like knowing what I have and much fun guessing! 
                          Pam
                            Hope you didn't take that the wrong way, Pam and your guess was good (IMO). I keep forgetting to use those danged emoticon thingies. I wasn't being dismissive. All I meant by the blah blah is "standard terms and conditions apply"... that is all the usual stuff about how vulnerable my opinion for an ID is from a picture, without having the feel of the rock in my hands and so on. Just couldn't be bothered to type it again.
                          Roger (with smilies this time)    

Comment

It does look like asphalt to me that was wraped around a pole, and that caused the indention on one side. would need in hand to be sure.
                            Jack

Comment

Butch Wilson wrote:

:dry:          :laugh: Pam, you found a rock.....well, gee howdy!
                                I sure did, Butch.  It's an awesome rock and, "I", like it! Gee Howdy to you too!

Comment

Working...
                              X