Neat Geofact from the Licking River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat Geofact from the Licking River

I think at one time this rock was heavily fossilized and the river wore it down. I thought it interesting because of the shape and thickness. Egg shaped and the thickness pretty much the same around the complete rock. Small evidence of fossil still visible.

Second set of photos

Comment

Hard to say what the fossil is. Maybe a broyzoan? Nice to see the White Bison again
      Rhode Island

Comment

That looks to be a piece of sandstone, heavily eroded. Please note the rock grit in the sandstone matrix. Fossilized bone or shell will not have grit in the fossilized rock. The fossil or fossil impression was in one of the sedimentary layers as the stone was formed.

Comment

Cliff is very likely correct in what he's describing here. I would simply note that sandstone itself is a sedimentary rock. There is an outcrop of sandstone and conglomerate near my home where the fossilized sandstone casts of Coal Age trees are preserved right in the sandstone and conglomerate rocks. The sand and cobbles/boulders comprising the sandstone and conglomerate were deposited in an ancient river delta, and with the sand and cobbles along came the trunks of trees as well. The preservation is quite poor which is typical of fossils preserved in sandstone. But, as Cliff notes, whatever your fossil is, Pam, it may have been in a shale layer that has eroded away.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X