What is this material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this material?

Sure doesn't seem native to Ohio. Wonder how it got in my field?

Looking for a material type, if possible?  Thanks

Comment

Looks like it came from Georgia. I find it here sometimes. Could of been traded.

Comment

Pam
        Best guess. It has classic igneous features, including flow-banding. I think it’s rhyolite… or at least rhyolitic something. Rhyolites have the same chemical composition as granite but are extrusive (forced out of the earth under pressure) rather than plutonic (formed underground by heat and pressure). Aphanitic rhyolite to be precise (component mineral crystals not visible).
        Rhyolites are generally associated with the west and south-west of the US and wouldn’t be common in your region of Ohio. They do however occur as far north and east as Maine... just not commonly so. But, remembering that your grandson recently found a piece of glacial tillite, it’s more likely to be a “glacial erratic” (a transported rock found in an area where it is not native). There’s a lot of rhyolite north of you in NE Ontario, so that’s a possible source.
        EagleBear: there are also abundant deposits in Georgia… especially in the north, but they are found where they formed, rather than glacially transported. [Incidentally, your piece of “copper” which was disputed elsewhere is in fact a rather nice piece of what is known as “glacial float copper”, sometimes called “drift copper”, as far as I can tell from the pics. This occurs mostly in the mid-west but you’ll find it in any State that received glacial deposits from the Lake Superior region. Because it’s relatively soft, you can often see glacial scarring – big straight gouges from where it was dragged over bedrock by the ice.]
        Roger
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks, painshill.  I was curious about the material.  The first photo reminds me of an insect.  A grasshopper or something.  I don't like insects.

Comment

Thanks Roger I knew it looked like some type of cooper. I havent found another like it yet. But I do believe it was made to be a knife of sorts. Could of been dragged down to the spot I found it by water when the water is high and dropped in that spot. I have to do some more exploring yet in that area. I love going to spots I havent been to yet. On one of those Guilfords that is black, on the other side it looks like gold but it might be fools gold I am not sure. If its real the point will be sold! For the gold that is  :cheer: .

Comment

Working...
            X