Got a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a question

I hope some of the NC folks will chime in on this as well as Painshill. I find a lot of this material in the same camp that I find points and tools. I'm curious what it might be. It is not a meteorite (CMD confirmed). It's very heavy, magnetic and somewhat rusty looking. At first, I thought magnitite but now I think, maybe, limonite? Doesn't really steak any color once the crust is removed. I have found a few artifacts made from this material. Anyone find any similar rocks?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	399146 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	399147 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	399148 ​​​​​​

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	399149

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	399150
    South Carolina

Opps, sorry, South Carolina is location.
    South Carolina

Comment

I think it is oolitic hematite iron ore.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Hoss. I can see the "oolitic" nature of these pieces.

I agree with Hoss , Jo....
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you JJ!

I’m a little doubtful that this is hematitic to a significant extent. It’s iron ore for sure, but iron ores are usually a mixture of iron-containing compounds, within which one type may predominate. Almost all of them will give you a coloured streak, and especially hematite, which streaks red or reddish brown. Also, hematite and most other iron minerals are not actually magnetic (ie will not be attracted to a magnet). If you find something hematite-rich which is attracted, it’s usually because it also contains some magnetite which is strongly magnetic and only needs to be present in small amounts for the ore to be attracted to a magnet.

The notable common exception to coloured streaking is siderite (FeCO3), which has a typically colourless or slightly dirty streak from accessory minerals. It’s also weakly magnetic if it has been subjected to geological heating and it too may be associated with small amounts of magnetite. Siderite is actually the richest source of iron for smelting and a common diagenetic mineral in sandstones, but doesn’t usually occur in large enough deposits to be a significant commercial source.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Roger. I have a lot of this material. Some pieces a very magnetic and a few are weakly magnetic. When out hunting artifacts, I find lots of different types of quartz, quartzite, rhyolite, argillite, slate, shale and the material in the pictures. I live in a heavy clay area. I can always tell when I find this mystery material. I don't have to clean off the clay. It's heavy and sets off metal detector.
        Last edited by Josie; 10-25-2019, 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Working...
    X