Geode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geode

One of the creeks I hunt has lots of geodes. I over the years picked up a few every trip and threw them in the wife's rock garden. I only bring home the light ones knowing they are probably hollow. Have probably 200 lbs of them now and with being trapped in an inch of ice and stuck in the house I went out and freed one from it's ice pack and broke it open. Happy with thee inside. Looks like quartz and a crystal of calcite but not sure. Will have to start opening more, might find a nice one. Sorry for the bad photos but this is as good as it gets with my antique camera, it's nicer than it looks.
    SE IA

That's a nice one!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That is neat. What does the outside of one look like?
      keep on keepin after

Comment

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a brown round rock, well almost round. I.ll try tomorrow to add a pic of one.

They are cool rocks
      South Dakota

Comment

Very nice oldrocks2! I'm glad to see another Iowan on here. I'm more towards the NE corner of Iowa. I find geodes in the Cedar River near me. Most aren't as pretty as your SE Iowa geodes though. I hope to see many more of your Iowa finds. I'll post some of mine when I can figure some technology issues I have (mostly my issues). Ha! Go Hawkeyes (or Cyclones or Panthers)!

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi KurtyG. I'm SE IA. We do have some nice ones down here. Have a state park near me called Geode State Park, Years back 50s a lot were taken out of there but they closed taking them under a fine if caught.

Here's one not opened. There is one in the creek that is 20 or so inches across but can't lift it. Been there for years, Probably will be also.
        SE IA

Comment

• PointHound
          PointHound commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't know if I have ever seen a rock like that around here or not? I believe I would take a pick or sledge hammer down to the creek with me if there might be some pretty stuff like that in that big one. Thanks for the picture.

Those are cool are all of them the same on the inside? I've seen those in rock shops. Wish we had them here.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          No they are all different. You never know what you will find. Broke one open years ago that was full of quartz crystals interlaced with 1 inch long black needles about the size of a hair. can't remember what they were but were cool. You can buy un-opened ones on fleabay but would stick with IA or IL ones. The seller has probably already checked them for weight so might not get real good ones.
          Last edited by oldrocks2; 01-24-2020, 11:50 AM.
      Working...
      X