Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting Gems, Fossils and Minerals: Discover HOW the Easy Way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Gems, Fossils and Minerals: Discover HOW the Easy Way!

"Where did you find those nice crystals?"
    "Where can Diamonds be found in Arkansas?"
    "Where are you finding that Sedalia Missouri Chert?"
    "Where did you get those Utah Trilobites?"

By using references printed by the United States Geological Survey and State Geological Surveys. State have books from the early 1800's. The USGS began printing in 1879 publications: Bulletins, Professional Papers, Monographs and Annual Reports. Hundreds of printings and many with detailed maps. You want to find anything known, sit down and get busy. Some tips:

www.abebooks.com (Type in what you are hunting.: Quartz Arkansas- for example. Ohio Trilobites. Agate (mostly western State names)

Do a search through Google. What you are looking for and where. The more words, the fewer results. You will get better as you get more practice.

Publications of the United States Geological Survey- Indexes. I like the older indexes as they have more interesting papers printed. More current the issue, the more technical they become and most have nothing to do with locations of Rocks, Minerals and Fossils. I scanned several examples for Arkansas. The Quartz Crystals of Arkansas is very comprehensive, although many are mining claims today.

I would not tell anyone where we find: (fill in the blank) as once the word is out, everyone is out there afterwards. But find your own by doing some basic research. I always like when you show someone some Indian Artifacts and they get angry when you do not tell them where and how to get there. After 25 weekends of hunting, you discover one part of a field full of freshly plowed out caches of artifacts. You paid your dues. They must pay theirs, too. It is not that simple.

Maps. Topography. Internet satellite searches can cover a lot of ground in detail. Plowed fields with charcoal / carbon stains... Old Campsites. You get smart by making mistakes and it was a spot where someone burnt some lumber in an open field forty years ago. You will learn.

I include a group of photographs as illustrations. The western USA Rocky Mountain Region has lots of places... but you have to do some research. Just a general area and work out from there. The known locations have been hunted... so you expand outward to find those small locations most do not wander around to discover. One day you will find the Hot Spot and keep it to yourself.

Any questions, I may be able to assist. You cannot find agate where it never existed. You cannot find artifacts in a plowed field, where NO camps or village existed. Which part of the Ox Bow in a creek or river would an Indian long term or temporary camp been located. Use common sense and consider yourself camping in a flood zone... none, zilch. But on a high spot with access to the river... now you are getting the idea.

It is the HUNT that is exciting. The preparation is not as exciting, but it will be over time. Once you find something, you will move onto other areas. Do your work now as Spring will be coming. Good luck... it takes effort and work to become... lucky.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SevenOut; 02-02-2023, 02:36 PM.

Good information 7..πŸ‘πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Looks like fun!
      Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Working...
      X