Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown artifact from Citronelle, Al. HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown artifact from Citronelle, Al. HELP!!!

I have an artifact that my father and I discovered about 20 years ago while digging a hole in our back yard just East of Citronelle, Al. It appears to be a hand axe but I am no expert and can only tell that it is OLD, used so much it is rubbed smooth as silk, flint napped at the tip, has original usage scratch marks (I have heard those are good for dating), and does not look like anything I have been able to find through my own research. I need an expert to tell me everything else, I am just curious. If it is going to sit around and collect dust I would at least like to know more about it. If the stone could talk I would most likely never leave my house. I personally have a great deal of Native American ancestry (Chief Pushmataha of the Choctaw tribe was my 5th Great Uncle on my mothers side and my great grandfather on my father's side was from the same area and was half Cherokee but looked full blooded) and to this day still have dreams about where I used to live (it was on top of a large mound shaped hill) that always involve Native Americans and I can't live with the 20 years of curiosity any longer. Thank you in advance anyone who has a helpful response or information. If needed I will gladly bring the artifact to an expert to be examined properly as I know pictures are a poor excuse compared to the actual object. My only request is that I get to go with it and not risk losing it in shipping.

im sorry to say this but i think what you have is just a geofact/rock

Comment

Alexander, welcome to AH.com :welcome:  I went ahead and inserted your pic's into the post for you.
      The pic's that you have posted are blurry and make it difficult to ascertain what it may be. But from what I can see this is a natural rock, unaltered by man. Looks like it would make a good paper weight, or maybe a door stop. This is just my opinion and maybe other members will see something different.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I would be glad to accept that explanation, however there are obvious wear marks, as well as the obviously flint napped tip. To see it in person I doubt anyone would argue that the stone, the type of which I am still curious about, had been worked and made into a tool. The shape, size, and consistant tooling marks are apparent and not something found naturally. I wish you could hold it for just five minutes and see the many anomalies that lead me to believe it was an important multi-purpose tool that was used extensively. I know that I am the one who came here for advice and do not wish to impose my views however after 20 years of inspecting the object I personally cannot overlook the empirical evidence that I see. If it is in fact an unaltered 'rock' then could you please point me in the direction of a geologist that can confirm its classification/type and maybe they can explain how it flint napped its own tip with linear scrape marks leading to the napping in a uniform pattern. There is more to this 'rock' and I really must explore all possible avenues, regardless of my feelings toward it I only want the simple truth. I appologize if my response is in any way offensive and thank you for your input. I will stand my ground and bet my bottom dollar that humans, at some point, helped shape and used extensively this stone tool. My biggest hint is the very obvious napping at the point that appears by all accounts to be intentional and worked. If it is just a rock it is still by far the most amazing rock that I have ever seen and will remain on my mantle!

Comment

I appologize for not having a better camera to get finer detail, however if you look at the last picture (an inverse view of the tip) you can make out the linear striations leading to the flint napped tip that have me so intrigued. I'm aware that stone can appear in a multitude of forms, and on that basis I believe the stone was already ideally shaped to begin with (something any reasonable person would seek when making such a tool), yet the uniformity of the wear and coincidental 'napping' of the tip lead me to believe that it should be looked at IN PERSON by one of you finely educated individuals so that I can be positive of its origins.

Comment

try taking a picture outside. the sunlight really helps brighten things and enhances your piece so we can get a better look.

Comment

most native axes and tools are pecked and ground hardstones or finely worked pieces of quality materials.yours only appears to have some big dings taken out of it.and maybe the fine polish could be the result of being in the water at some point in time? yes there is always the possibility that someone in some point in time maybe picked it up and bashed something with it, but as far as any real work on the piece i just dont really see any.
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Central Illinois. As blurry as the pics are I cannot see anything that would lead me to believe this is anything but natural. I honestly doubt if better pics or even actually holding it would change my mind.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

As per suggestions I have taken numerous sunlight pics to hopefully get better quality images...I hope these help. Further information I can offer:  The stone is heavy in the back and tapers perfectly to the front, which is somehow napped with linear scratches leading to the napping (which is sharp enough to cut with, has a very worn exterior with an odd circumfrential line at roughly a 45 degree angle to the stone if placed legthwise. One side is completely flat, the other side convex. Due to this I will refer to the flat side as the "bottom" and the convex side as the "top" as that is how it naturally lays. On the bottom there is an oddly, unnaturally apearing worn area towards the back exactly opposite of a large anomalous "hole" or "indention" which I gladly concede appears natural. When the sides are viewed from above, one side is remarkably clean and smooth with a fine edge (it is from this angle that the circumfrential line is best viewed), and the opposing side is very different showing a great level of wear to the level of almost flat with and indented ridge running the length of that flat section. The rear is blunt with more linear striations/scratch marks eminating from an area where the stone has a chipped off section adjacent to the natural appearing indention (resembles a bone socket) that appears to have broken over time with use as a pounding implement (personal conjecture but it is there). All of the broken, not worn, pieces of stone have the linear striations previously mentioned radiating from them, in the direction of the breaks/napping and only extend 1-2 inches from the sites and are not visible anywhere else on the stone. The top/convex side also has a very regular, darker, L shaped with a slight curve across one side leading to the back but stopping short just over 2 inches from the back.

Comment

More pics

Comment

Some of these are just terrible feel free to shun me.

Comment

"Dammit Jim, I'm a nurse not an archeaologist" seriously lol

Comment

Here's my take. The item itself is very clearly natural. Including the "thumb-grip". The smooth surface is just the natural cortex of the rock. It's a completely different colour and nature to the exposed interior that can be seen where there is chipping. It hasn't been made to that shape by pecking, grinding or any other human process. If it had, then it wouldn't have that thin coating of such a different appearance and colour.
                          I would agree that the directional scratching towards the tip suggests that someone has used it for something. But who, when or why are questions that don't have ready answers. If you reconsider the way that it fits so neatly in your hand, I think you would have to conclude that the angle at which you are holding it and the limited extension of the pointed end somewhat limit its possible functionality as a tool. You wouldn't be able to exert much force behind it for anything other than a hammering action. That wouldn't really explain the scratches. If they are from it being used, it must have been repeatedly pushed into something rather than just hammering and, whatever that was, it must have been abrasive but not very hard. Otherwise it would be really chipped.
                          It has some resemblance in shape to a seed dibber, soil clod-breaker or root digger but you would need to be on your hands and knees with your knuckles pretty close to the ground to have any hope of doing more than pushing it into anything other than soft soil. It would be back-breaking and Native Americans were smarter than that.
                          I don't know what it is, but it's not an artefact in the sense of having been "made", although I would accept that it looks like it might have been "used".
                          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

My theory is very much the same I just wanted some educated advice aside from just conjecture. I believe it was an almost perfectly shaped stone for a multipurpose tool and was picked up by someone who adapted it to meet their needs. With the overall shape and existing socket shaped indention, there is not much left but to flint nap the tip (which is quite visible and noteworthy) and add a deer femur to the socket...gave it a try, fit well, and bind it with the leather strapping from the hide. THEORY!!! I believe that the fact that it was used at all is proof of its authenticity. Of course it's a rock...all of their tools were rock based. One that was already made to order would be invaluable to a people like that. And I believe it was used for many things over a very long period of time leading to its unique vague and hard to interpret wear. I may post a youtube vidoe and provide a link to further demonstrate my conjecture to see if anyone has a change of heart. It's also very possible that it is so old that it pre-dates more worked and decorative/functional pieces explaining its simplicity. If nothing else it is more impressive than what they have on display in the museum located nearest the site, and that impresses me lol.

Comment

Wow, bad photos of a cool natural rock with a couple of recent chips on the "tip". So now it is without a doubt an extremely unique artifact that is so old................................
                              You came here seeking HELP, you have rejected it all. Do us all a favor and take it to an "expert" and let us know what he says, then we can all be enlightened.
                              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                              X