need answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need answers

This was found by me while out trailriding one day in the creek bottoms. its two pieces that fit perfectly togeether has anyone seen or know of anything like it thanks

are those stuck together or did you lay those on top of eachother? either way pretty cool looking but in my opinion it looks to be just rocks

Comment

I have actually taken these two pieces to a professor a dr.of anthropology at a local college he says they Are createtd pieces not just rocks that when you see IT, ITS VERY obvious!  He felt it could be from the mississippian period maybe a little earlier, what i am seeking is if maybe anyone else has made a find that is of similar stature? This piece is aprox 13 inches tall, the nose is of a different material of that its attached to or seemingly grows out of, it is very unusual yes but is it a one of a kind? i don't know yet? Please reply if you may possibly have something similar thank you!

Comment

Whats his name and where is he located?
        BTW, :welcome:
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

OMG your still missing one of the rocks, the hat to complete the Jack-N-the-Box restaurant  Icon logo! :woohoo:  :silly:  hmy:   
          :welcome: Welcome to AH.com, but your professor, well forgive me, has rocks in his head for telling you such nonsense. We do get people that stack rocks on this site from time to time, They are politely told they have a "stack of rocks". This is an artifact forum, not a unique stacked rock forum. If you want to learn about artifacts please feel free to join in, but if you want to stack rocks and ask if anyone has seen anything like this..... well we have, this is a stack of rocks, really!!!!! Here is a link to another person that likes to stack rocks, that posted on this site, http://arrowheads.com/forums/what-di...veryone#101412
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

how about a pic of just the bottom stone? if it is all one rock(hard to tell from the pic)the flair on the bottom looks interesting.
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I'm sorry that its beyond your knowledge of experience or expertise I'm not aiming to 'stack rocks ' as you politely stated. in the same area i found many points and scrpers as well! it wasn't just a random grouping of rocks that i stuck together! The professor i spoke of is Dr. Kit Wessler you can look his credentials up on line he has many publications and i assure you his head is NOT full of rocks! but thank you for sharing :-) i see you do have a STRONG knowledge of restarurant logos so if I'm ever in need of discovering an unknown logo your my man!! :-)

Comment

Yes i can take a pic. Of the bottom. i will add them thanks

Comment

Stick to your guns on this one rocksaremything  because what you have found isn't simply a natural wannabe.
                  It looks to me like the object was deliberately and carefully made just the way it is. The question should be is it prehistoric or historic. Have there been Indian sites found near the find spot?

Comment

I looked up Dr. Kit Wesler. I assume you misspelled his name, but same guy?

But I still don't understand what I am looking at. You are saying, though, that it is one single piece, with the second piece being the rock wedged into the top rock,  13 inches tall, and not a rock stack, correct? It would help to have many views, all around. The 2nd rock from the bottom clearly looks like it is part of the bottom piece, and not stacked upon it. But the 3rd rock up doesn't show that it was worked on at all, yet it is just sitting there, from that angle, in a manner that not only makes it look totally unrelated to the 2nd rock from the bottom, but that the only way it could be there is glued on somehow(from the viewed angle it gives that impression, may not be the case, more photos needed), rather then a single rock carved to look like a stack in that fashion. I can envision a scenario where pebbles contiguous to each other weather out of a host conglomerate, but I think I'm stretching it. Perhaps you could have Dr. Wesler explain what he is seeing.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

also, what did dr. kessler tell you exactly what this was?

Comment

Thanks for the additional photos, 2 of which I enlarged for you, as they were thumbnails. It looks like the bulbous piece at the base is actually inserted into the top rock? In the last photo almost looks that way. No idea what it is. But, we really do need to know exactly why Dr. Wesler felt it was Native American and even felt comfortable placing it in the Mississippian?
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Added a couple different views of it TOGETHER it is two seperate pieces but were laying together when i found them Dr. Wessler thinks it could possibly be a vulture, however although he has seen human effigys or idols never an animal or bird. he said they would line paths or certain ceremonal places with things they worshipped or that represented something to them. due to its rarity. he suggested putting it out there just to see if someone else may have found or stumbled upon anything similar. I also found scraper a couple of adena points some broken pieces and drlls in the same area

Comment

Thanks. But, just to be clear. Is the 2nd of the 2 pieces the "beak" portion of the head, or the head itself?
                            Definitely unusual!
                            Rhode Island

Comment

i do not like this site. it looks like someone found rocks and placed them on top of eachother and called them animal effigies. also i dont think these "effigies" on this page are as big as yours since you said it measured 13 in.
                                http://www.iceageartifacts.com/thunderbird.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X