Tool or fool? I think fool, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool or fool? I think fool, but...

What do you guys think? Tool or junk? I'm leaning towards junk, however, it was found in a farm field where I've found a number of artifacts (points, flakes, etc.) Just seems a little strange, though I know natural rocks come in all shapes and sizes. It does fit comfortably in ones hand and the blunt end appears flat (as if used to grind, though I don't know.) Unfortunately, the piece was also hit by some farm equipment. Having said that, I feel it may be junk... it's actually shaped like a rhombus if you stare at it straight on from either end... I would think if it was a tool, they would have done a better job making it... I don't know.

I have many similar pieces that were found in areas that produced points and such also. Its hard to say for sure but there just doesn't seem to be a consistent wear pattern that a stone tool would have. That is just my thought. There are some very good identifiers on this site and they can give you a better analysis than I can. I would have picked it up also.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
    X