Clear All

• What did I find?

in process of cleaning, but at this point you can clearly see what it is

in process of cleaning, but at this point you can clearly see what it is

Comment

• jtyler46and2
      jtyler46and2 commented
      Editing a comment
      So what your telling me is you see no animal resemblance of any kind ??!

• Kyflintguy
      Kyflintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Seeing resemblances is normal, your here asking about your rock because you believe Native Americans made the rock into the shape of an eagle. Were telling you that's not the case. We spend lots of time recognizing artifacts around here and we know them when we see them for the most part. Your just having a case of Pareidolia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...dfe89edec9/amp

Its just your brain playing tricks on you. Not man made.

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Josh is right. Almost like seeing images in those puffy cumulus clouds, rocks have their features too. Stare long enough & you can see anything ad your brain tries to make sense of what you're staring at. Save your time & energy. When you find a real artifact there will be no doubts.

Ok Tyler, I think I've got your post straightened out for now. We will let other members weigh in and then decide if your post should be moved to another area.

Imo you have a completely natural Rock. I see nothing to suggest your rock was ever manipulated into its current form by human hands. Its not uncommon for us to see faces and figures in natural formations, in fact its human nature to do so. Just another one of mother natures cruel tricks. Don't be discouraged though and keep up the hunt, there are plenty of artifacts to be found out there!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

looks like a rock to me Happy Easter!
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Just a rock imho.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Cleaned a little more. There is definently an eagle. the end of one wing tip is almost all exposed and sharp. You can't see the pic but the top of head is also getting sharp as is the other wing. I m pretty sure there will be a hole that develops all the way through the chest. I'll be working on it more later.

Comment

You know I see so many things in my finds . Faces , animals you name it . I finally had to start looking up effigy types .
            what cultures made what and materials / lithics used .
            put a stop to my mind racing .
            But it also opened some doors to know clearly what to look for and that some of my pottery finds were in fact what I thought .

Comment

Nope, I wouldn't waste anymore time working on it. Its not an artifact. Your mistaken. Not an eagle effigy. Take time to research what actual Native American stone effigies look like and how they were made by pecking and polishing. Your rock is unaltered, no pecking, no grinding... Native American animal effigies are not crude and barely recognizable. They are made with clear intent like something you or I would make.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	piperattlerobjectsmall.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	293871
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Comment

So what your telling me is you see no animal resemblance of any kind ??!

Comment

Seeing resemblances is normal, your here asking about your rock because you believe Native Americans made the rock into the shape of an eagle. Were telling you that's not the case. We spend lots of time recognizing artifacts around here and we know them when we see them for the most part. Your just having a case of Pareidolia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...dfe89edec9/amp

Its just your brain playing tricks on you. Not man made.
                    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 03-31-2018, 03:03 PM.
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Tam
                      Tam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great link ... applause

Josh is right. Almost like seeing images in those puffy cumulus clouds, rocks have their features too. Stare long enough & you can see anything as your brain tries to make sense of what you're staring at. Save your time & energy. When you find a real artifact there will be no doubts.
                    Last edited by Havenhunter; 04-01-2018, 06:11 AM.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

• Tam
                      Tam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed

Jtyler you seem defensive. You posted a question in a category called what did I find? you asked in your title " What did I find?" We told you what we think it is a rock. It.s not an eagle it is not even flaked it is just a pebble. It is ok to have an imagination I think it is great to have one. However imgination does not make a rock an artifact. I am moving this topic to " Rocks Mistakenly Believed to be Artifacts. "

I suggest you read some of the posts and topics in that category. There are some good examples of good people who grasped what we were trying toshow / explaine to them and some other examples of what happens to unfortunate folks who decide to be defensive. It is really up to you how this goes from here. You cn stay and learn by reading old posts and checking out or resource section or you can just be biiter and decide you are right and we are just ganging up on you.

I really hate this part of being an admin . But this is Arrowheads.com not this rock looks like a eagle.com you are welcome to start your own website and push your theory but face it you cannot even clean a rock. We have articles here that pretty much explain standing next to a water source with a soft bristle tooth brush and giving your rocks a light scrub. I have done it thousands of times and trust me it takes minutes to do twenty rocks . You on the other hand seem to feel it is an extended process akin to watching paint dry.
                    Last edited by Hoss; 03-31-2018, 08:18 PM.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Comment

It’s ok Man. I have one that I am certain is an Elvis effigy. Imagine my surprise when I found out Elvis wasn’t a big fan favorite with the early NA set...Like Josh said, native stone(of ceramic) effigies are unmistakeable. They were skilled at making things far better than what most people think....if you ever pick one up, you won’t have to say “if you hold it just right, you can see the ———whatever”
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                        X