Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLOTH SLAYER

Posted by [GarScale]:

By popular demand Im posting these points for you enjoyment, critique, or ridicule.

Here is an unnamed point type I have dug in context from my site in East Tx. It got dubbed "SlothSlayer" by some friends and it just kinda stuck. The type has very consistent characteristics and quite a few have been found across South, Central , East and North Texas as well as Central La.
    It is a large, semi-stemmed lancolate form with heavy grinding along a long slightly contracting stem. Some examples have surface grinding on the stems as well. The point is weak shouldered and heavily serrated along the blade with serrations tapering down mid blade. In most cases, the last inch or so of the tip is not serrated. ALL examples are parallel flaked with some exhibiting Cody quality. ALL examples are collateral flaked to a medial ridge on one side. Most examples have a rounded side opposite the collateral face although parallel flaking is characteristic on both sides. All examples are high grade material and range from Edwards to raw novaculite. Serrations are a result of manufacture and may be lost as the point is resharpened.
    These points are from the oldest culture represented in my site and found in context to overshot debitage greatly resembling Clovis and very unique hammer stones.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	005 [replaced].jpg
Views:	660
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	198374

Name:	014 [replaced].jpg
Views:	516
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	198375

Name:	019 [replaced].jpg
Views:	518
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	198376

Name:	024 [replaced].jpg
Views:	467
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	198377

Posted by [GarScale]:

heres more.

Name:	013 [replaced].jpg
Views:	473
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	198378

Name:	010 [replaced].jpg
Views:	479
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	198379

Name:	029 [replaced].jpg
Views:	444
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	198380

Name:	027 [replaced].jpg
Views:	465
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	198381

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

more

Comment

Sure are wicked looking things....any ideas as far as dating? Thanks for showing these incredible finds.
        Always keep your head down and never give up!

Comment

Steve those are just awesome,and so was the video. Thanks for sharing
          east Tx.

Comment

old dog wrote:

Sure are wicked looking things....any ideas as far as dating? Thanks for showing these incredible finds.

Posted by [GarScale]:

I do have ideas on dating. Ill say this, they are the oldest artifact in my excavation.

Comment

No ridicule here Steve. I have seen these before and Thank you for sharing them here. How deep were these?
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

No ridicule here Steve. I have seen these before and Thank you for sharing them here. How deep were these?

Posted by [GarScale]:

IN the clay. Some may have been 15ft deep. All were 6 inches to 2ft into the clay though. I have a bunch more but that's enough for now.

Comment

Hey Steve, Those are some of the best ever. Sometimes I wonder why
                  that great skill was not passed on to later craftsmen. The material
                  in those pieces is great: does that have a local source?
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Steve
                    Those are wickedly amazing points! I love those serrations! Thanks for posting!
                    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

Very cool assemblage. This was below your Clovis level? The flaking looks like what I would expect to see in a Cody site, minus the elongated base. I could see this as a transitional point as a precursor to Cody.
                      Those are some cool artifacts! Thanks for sharing!
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

This is one that I posted awhile back with no base.

east Tx.

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

If you found a tip broken beyond the serrations, You would think it was a killer Scotty tip. The reduction process is dramatically different than Cody though. These blades are reduced in virtually the same way as Clovis. Debitage looks much like Clovis with overshot thinning.
                          Here is a preform that shows the reduction and similarities to clovis and SS pieces found in immediate context.

Comment

Very cool! The outer-passe flaking, to reduce it down to a SS form.  :dunno:  :dunno: I am not sure I can wrap my head around that. The knapping technology both percussion and pressure flaking, wow superb. The theory behind this, I am sure there has been a few discussions.I am interested to here what has been said.
                            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Garscale this one Looks like a fresh break. You might want to screen that pile again.

Name:	029 [replaced].jpg
Views:	421
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	198383

Amazing looking artifacts. I wonder why they smoothed the surfaces too. Maybe these were hafted in bove and not a wood shaft. Have you found any bone in your dig site?
                              Very awesome thanks for sharing this stuff with us.
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X