Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creeks Flow Into Rivers, Rivers Into Oceans. So I Was Taught.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creeks Flow Into Rivers, Rivers Into Oceans. So I Was Taught.

I clearly remember learning that Creeks flow into Rivers and Rivers flow into Oceans and that lesson was a LONG time ago. So I am walking along, minding my own business and I see things are not quite right in that school lesson. When does a River flow into a Creek? When it is a Savannah River of course. In this case, recent, near biblical rains have passed through our area as well as most everyone else's area I imagine. I have had the itch to get out and go collecting artifacts for a while now but most of my areas have been off limits for about 4 months now due to hunting season. Well that just ended and 4 months of rain can expose a lot of new stuff. First I found one awesome Echpora Quadricostata fossil. I love finding them and they too are fairly rare for my area. The Ecphora is a really cool extinct Predatory Snail or Mollusk that preyed on other mollusks by drilling holes into their shells to get to the goods inside. If this was all that I had found I would have been pumped but as I was eluding to, 4 months of heavy rains washed a very nice Savannah River Spear Point into the edge of the creek. I am very surprised that I saw it but my eyes were peeled and hawking out anything that could be seen. Just to let you all know, I am still excited because this is a favorite place for me to collect and you never know what you might find and today was a very successful trip for me. Long gone are the days of finding 10 or twenty points in a day. I now usually find 1 point in 10 or 20 trips. This point was very well camouflaged and hard to see. It measures 3-1/8" long by 1-3/8" wide and as usual it is a stocky built point to help get the job done when needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797 (768x1024).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	190426

Name:	IMG_0803 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	736.9 KB
ID:	190427

Name:	IMG_0807 (821x1024).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	190428
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Great eye. Wow that is a tough one. I need to hire your eyes and go back through my stretch of creek. Good job bud

Comment

• taxidermist01
      taxidermist01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Dylan. Truth be known, my eyesight is terrible these days but...I have an internal RADAR for fossils and artifacts. My wife would tell you, that if I was in a 100 acre field with only one arrowhead in the whole field, somehow I would find it. I honestly lost a good friend because every time we went fossil collecting I always came away with amazing finds while he would find the usual broken or small stuff. It got so bad that he quit taking me collecting. I had some real good times collecting with him. He even showed me the spot this Savannah River point was found. Now he is to old to collect. He always said, I had a sixth sense and could look at an area and analyze where fossils would be found. There was a time that impressed him but after a while, I guess it got old.

That is a sweet insitu and a sweet find. Congrats !
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• taxidermist01
      taxidermist01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I appreciate that. It sure felt good to get out and make a few finds.

Bobby my eyesight is still fairly good but I would need to be on all fours to see that one without being told where to look first.
    How about a pic of the fossil? Or did you post it elsewhere?
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• taxidermist01
      taxidermist01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Bruce, I will take a couple pictures and post them as soon as possible. I don't have an insitu picture of it because it was in the water and already mostly covered with a fine sand silt but the shape was undeniable.

Name:	IMG_0809 (1024x829).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	190447

Name:	IMG_0812 (1024x885).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	576.3 KB
ID:	190448

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely beautiful my friend. This alone would have made my day.

• taxidermist01
      taxidermist01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce. I was prepared to be very happy even if this would have been all that I walked away with. This is my favorite type shell fossil and this is about the 5th one that I have found from this particular sight over the past 25 years of collecting.

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Very cool! I love finding coastal fossils! We have your fossil's living relative that has invaded the Chesapeake Bay & its tributaries-- the rapa whelk-- from Asia. It has that boxy, baseball-shaped shell too, unlike our native whelks.

I still don't see it...haha. Guess I need to borrow your eyes next time I go out
    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Hey Bobby, I love the in-situ. That beautiful point is a big part of the picture and still tricky to see.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• taxidermist01
        taxidermist01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Ron. Everything about today was just a perfect day. I did some early Flint Knapping, then went collecting for a late afternoon hunt in the rain and that worked out well, then I get home and my Wife had fixed a fantastic supper and when my Son got home from work he had half a bushel of Oysters for us to steam. I decided to buy 2 lottery tickets for my Wife, myself and both of my kids. The truth about the point though is that if the shoulder would have not been showing, odds are I would not have seen it. The notch for the shoulder to stem transition was a dead give away. I was almost in a panick to get the camera out because until I pulled the point out I didn't know if it was whole or not.

Fantastic rhyolite Savannah river. Interesting fossil also good finds.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• taxidermist01
        taxidermist01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot. I couldn't have been more satisfied.

Dang nice!! Good job!! I'm heading out in the morning. Crossing my fingers that one of my areas isn't covered in snow. :/

Comment

• Hotrodmom
        Hotrodmom commented
        Editing a comment
        My girls LOVE finding pieces for you. They call you my Arrowhead guy friend...lol. When we get home they always hand me a bunch and say they are for you. They think it's pretty darn awesome how you make them.

• taxidermist01
        taxidermist01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tell them both I said thank you so much and I will do my best to make them each a nice point from their Obsidian.

• Hotrodmom
        Hotrodmom commented
        Editing a comment
        Awwww, you're too sweet!

Wow, that is a dandy for sure. I'm sure it was tough to spot.

Comment

• taxidermist01
        taxidermist01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Coach and I haven't forgot you. I will have the Mailman out your way soon. Sorry for the delay.

Good eye and a couple of nice finds!
      Rick, East Central Missouri

Comment

Geeeez , thats one point i would have never seen ,,, wow congrats
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• taxidermist01
        taxidermist01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I wonder how many more I never do see. I walk real slow though and stop and scan an area really well before moving on. I usually walk down to the creek through the woods and get in it and walk up to keep all the muddy water flowing behind me. This point washed all the way down to the waters edge and if it had gotten into the water it would have been just a matter of time before it washed its way down through the sand until it came to a rest in a pocket on the hard pan below the sand. Not likely to be seen again when that happens.

Super finds. Well, I spotted the point. But you put it in the photo, a huge advantage for me, lol. That one was hiding and then some!
      Rhode Island

Comment

• taxidermist01
        taxidermist01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. It was hard to see but I just go very slowly and scan and rescan before I move up any and I never hunt expecting to see the whole thing. I am always looking for familiar shapes, edges and so on. I can't tell you how many times I have bent over to pick up a leaf because I thought it was stone.

• CoachG
        CoachG commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah those leaves sure do make it rough on a man.

It took me forever to find it in the picture, I had to cheat and scroll down to see the point, and then I could pick it out. Lol. WOW! Good eyes! Great point!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thank you Josh. The picture can definitely be a brain teaser.

Comment

Working...
        X