No announcement yet.

Pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So did your Grandfather find this or buy it? To me the center portion looks like it was ground with a grinding wheel. Notice that the color in that center portion looks nothing like the outer portions. It looks dirty too in more than one way. Not something I would be putting in my mouth nor do I think an Indian would. The hole going through it is crooked. Often a bad hole means it was done with a high speed device such as a modern power drill. Of all Native American artifacts pipes are near the top of the list for fakes. Just pointing out some red flags I see in your pictures. I am by no means an expert on pipes but this one seems to be someone's idea and a fertility fetish of sorts and I feel it is modern.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hhaysr56
      Hhaysr56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I value your opinion but unless somebody planted in the field I personally found it in the mineral deposits on this piece could. Not have been done by man the two rub spots on top where put there buy rubbing. Against something this is not a pipe was used for something else and the hole was scoped buy a bore scope was done by a reed not drill I put this on the site to see if anybody would know what it is I had this verified as artifact by a Pa museum archaeologist he.did not know its use same as the Clovis I put on site it was verified by Pa museum and I gave them the three broken ones found over the four days searching for study you wil most likely remove this post from site and me also and I think this would be wrong I have put artifacts on here that where said to be rocks when I have had verified I drop off at museum with gps data they study for a few weeks photograph and give back separated good and bad I have four sites accredited to me I stopped a housing plan from being built till the state could go in it was a archaic site housing plan had to wait two years so finally to surmise I am a true collector I don't. See dollar signs I spend hours searching sometime days with out finding a whole piece I drive for hours to get to hunting areas I use to travel to different states when my boys where younger now I stay in pa or Ohio I even had a farmer give me a box of hie finds as a gift me and my boys repaired his fence line so we could search his land also I do not sell or buy artifacts ii collect I do trade Thank you for the site

I doubt it was planted more than likely lost by some potheads. I have shown stuff to Luciann Lavin and Nicolas Bellantoni both are well known Anthropologists in Connecticut. Nick was the State Archaeologist for 30 years. Lucianne is the curator of the Institute for American Indian Studies She also wrote a great book about New England pottery and is a long time family friend. No brag just fact. I only mention this because once I had occasion to show them a location in Shelton CT with a presumed bed rock mortar. A friend showed it to me I sent information to both Lucianne and Nick and they came and met my friend at the location. Luciann felt it was modern and nick felt it was done in ancient times. Which one to believe? One is right the other is wrong and both Archaeologist/ anthropologists for decades. That being said do you feel that the information provided to you by the museum is correct? I look at your picture I see striations running back and forth in pretty straight lines. I see small divots toward te end of each pass as if the person grinding stopped there for a moment causing that tiny flat spot. If this was made by Native Americans the striations would not be so uniform ad straight.. Click image for larger version

Name:	penis copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	245578
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I know what your saying I have seen this with coas on would say yes one no same artifact I know some collectors say not artifact if no point or cutting edge it's hard to tell by photo I just scoped at 40x I see some ridge lines not sanding marks I know what sanding marks are I restore antiques if possible send to you so you can have in hand I do value opinion

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Using 40X is way overkill for observing artifacts. 10X is just fine because your are looking at the surface, Now and again you may need 20X but beyond that you are looking at the matrix of the rock rather than the surface deposits.

You have shows coming up in Pa take it there and show it around. No need to send that to me. I am pretty confident it is modern.Just my opinion based on what I see in your pictures.

Comment

Like you said proebly pothead dropped but will take to show a lot of guys will chuckle because of shape I'll have fun with it

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
          You have shows coming up in Pa take it there and show it around. No need to send that to me. I am pretty confident it is modern.Just my opinion based on what I see in your pictures.
          http://www.arrowheads.com/index.php/...-artifact-show
          Yes. Please bring it to one of our IACANE shows. Marysville is coming up on April 8th. I checked my IACANE e-mail group and it looks like you are already a member. I really enjoy when people bring unique artifacts in for show. Damon should have his microscope set up and the usual gang of folks should be there to give you some opinions.

IACANE Website: http://users.erols.com/lselmer/iacane.htm

Regards, John

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            That is great advice John thank you.

Sounds like good advice to me as well
          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
          X