Before the Plastic Cover....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -=METACOM=- View Post
    Any chance you can get those pics up in full size? I'd really like to take a close look at that site collection.
    Well, I can try. Let's see how it goes.....

OK, that wasn't hard, lol. Odd fact. For 20 years we walked this field and never found a triangle. Then, I found 2 in one day. That's weird I think!

The Mrs. and I found an end piece of the same pestle. Not likely to find the rest, but who knows. Never say never.

Funny fact about the intact pestle. One of my first finds there. Stood it upright in the field, and kept looking back at it, wondering "is that a pestle?" It was caked in mud and I could not see any pecking. When I left the field, decided to take it and tossed it in the trunk. A couple of days later, open the trunk, wife says "what's that?" "It's a pestle!" says I, not even really believing it. Wife says "Give me a break!!" "Oh yeah?", I say, "well, we'll take it upstairs and wash it. You'll see!" I'm kinda joking, mind you. Get it cleaned off and see all the pecking. "Hey! It IS a pestle!!" Click image for larger version  Name:	Ann Hope 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	211.1 KB ID:	248739
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Ann Hope 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.7 KB ID:	248740
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Ann Hope 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	202.5 KB ID:	248741
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AnnHope 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	212.4 KB ID:	248742
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AnnHope 6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	261.2 KB ID:	248743

Some crystalline quartz... Click image for larger version  Name:	AnnHope 7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.3 KB ID:	248744

Click image for larger version  Name:	AnnHope 8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	151.9 KB ID:	248745
    Last edited by CMD; 04-29-2017, 08:18 PM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Wow, you've done well there. When you first posted those I saw the pestle and I was wondering if that was the one you told me about when we walked that field, I remembered the story. That's a killer collection, thanks for reposting.

Comment

Is that a shell button?? And if it is, how old is it?

Comment

That's a great site collection for sure!

Comment

Very nice Charlie, and I love the Wading river.
            South Dakota

Comment

Wow!!! There's some really nice points there. I'm glad you got out of the mud. I've been there done that. Usually my feet pull right out of my boots and fill with mud before I can fish them out. I guess It's all worth it if you can come home with a few points and a good story.
              Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                One of the farmers who gives us permission to walk his fields began putting his crops in one of those fields under plastic a few years back. It's a growing trend among farms in general in RI and Ma. With a very tiny window of opportunity between plowing up, and then planting and covering in plastic, on Wed. I put a couple hours in, since we had gotten about 3" of rain over 2 days.

This field has always been problematic when it's been saturated that much. Sure enough, at one point I suddenly sank, both legs a little past my knees, and I'm tall. Had to lean face forward into the mud and use my elbows to push down to extricate myself. And briefly, it was questionable if I could do it, or would need to phone for assistance:-(
                Kept getting one leg out, and then promptly falling forward into the mud.

But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and that's what a hot shower is for, lol. I wet the argillite point to show what it looks like in a wet field.

Wading Rivers, Squibnocket Stemmed, and quartz end scraper.....

I too have gone about knee deep in mud looking for points before... it's a scary feeling. You are too embarrassed to call for help, so you kind of have to rock yourself back and forth to get out. sometimes you might lose a boot. It's almost funny when it happens
                Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Working...
                X