No announcement yet.

Kirk Serrated bifurcated point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW Johnny, You really scored on that hunt. Great finds all.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Those are nice Johnny thanks for sharing.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Oh Yes! That's exactly what I was talking about and what I thought. Serrated, beveled with a ground base. It looks more like a Dalton than a Kirk to me but with all that sharpening it's hard to say? No matter what it's a super find. I've been dreaming about one like that!

Von

Comment

Beautiful artifacts! Wicked serrations

Comment

That's a great find man. Congrats to you
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Kirk stemmed can also be beveled, not common but it happens in there knife forms...
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I think of transitional forms being made from cultures/tribes possibly exchanging ideas, taking over for resources or maybe even making slaves/captives of the weaker tribes/more passive tribes. Kirks culture (and there are many forms/types that resemble them in the US) must have had some dominance at the end of the paleo/beginning of the Archaic period. Look at this point (even other Kirks I've seen) tell me those serrations don't look wicked! I can think of some other types right now from NC that I believe were made from the idea of a Kirk culture (Palmer, St. Albans, Stanley). Kirks were corner notched, stemmed, bifuricated and side notched probably also. Actually I can't think of it being the same Natives because the form is so widespread throughout the US it's like a cognitive framework. Their design may have derived from the transitional paleo Dalton type along with the ideas of other types/cultures they encountered (Daltons can have fluting as paleo forms do).
                Last edited by Taterman421; 06-25-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X