Finds from the OBC gap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finds from the OBC gap.

This is my first find from a new site. Site is along a former channel of the Mississippi where a creek fed into it. Found it within the first 5 minutes of my hunt!

Nice find Andy. Looks like it's been kinda beat up. Was this found on farm land by the river area. By the by - I like your insitus. Good close up piics to.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks. It was found on the top of the bank just a yard or two off the edge. It is farmland. Possible it got hit but hard to say. I will hopefully have many more finds from this area soon. Care to offer an opinion on possible type? I've got a few possibilities, based on overstreet and my knowledge of the area, but I'm open to hear what the forum has to say.

Comment

The new site looks promising, hope you find many there.
        That looks like a preform that may have been discarded due to all the faults. Looks like it would be hard to work through much of that .
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Good luck on a new site , that sure gives a little promise to it for sure !!
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

Great find/artifact Andy. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice find Andy, Greg is probably right, and It look's Heat Treated. Maybe Hopewell related.
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Looks like the knapper made a poor choice of rocks, may be all he had at time. Good work for what the person had to work with. Nice find
                South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Nice to find a new site! Your statement: " a former channel of (a river) where a creek fed into it" is a great tip for new collectors. Rivers and creeks change course over thousands of years for sure. I've had some really great sites in the exact same spots.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I say channel, but that's a bit of an understatement. Its actually an ancestral bed of the mississippi, which was formed when the waters from the Wisconsin glacial flow caused the river to cut through the north end of Crowleys ridge. It formed what is known as the oran-bell city gap around 16,500 yrs ago and the river flowed through this bed for the next 5000 years.

Awesome. In FL most of the rivers excepting some of the major spring fed ones are not where they were thousands of years ago. Off my county the Paleo Beach was up to 150 miles out from where the beach is now....and none of the major rivers flowing into Tampa Bay were there at all. Totally different rivers were here. That's why the beaches near Venice, FL have loads of fossils on the beach, a huge river emptied there, south of Tampa bay. Archaic times the coastal sites are still up to many miles out in the Gulf.
                  v
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

There is nothing I see about that blade that I could identify to any particular time period or culture. Points like that are common throughout all time periods. It may be associated with a particular culture when you find other identifiable points and it may be connected to one of those. Or it may not.

Comment

Today's haul from what I will call site 1.1(previous piece from site 1.3). Site is behind my house. It is a field road that runs atop a sandy rise with the adjacent field being 3-4ft lower in elevation.

Comment

Comment

I’m with Greg on the blade
                          South Dakota

Comment

In regards to the material and its workability, it is called Mozarkite. Which is a highly workable form of Burlington chert.
                            Here is a link to one of Greg's posts from 2010: https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...-iowa-missouri
                            The amount of work present on the piece, the potential work that could still be done, and the overall serviceability of this "blade" would have made it an important piece in a persons arsenal. I feel like, if it were discarded, it would have been done long before so much was put into it.
                            supposing it is a preform, what would it be a preform of? Convex to parallel blade edges which become rounded near the base. Each blade edge has a notch at the top 1/4 of the blade. Light basal notching is present and one face features fluting nearly half the length of the blade.

Comment

Working...
                            X