Bifurcate and more Slate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bifurcate and more Slate

The truck pulled off the road on my way back from getting tune up supplies. I wanted to give a washout I missed the other day a quick look. Needed to keep it short but twenty minutes paid off with this bifurcate and a drilled piece of slate. Maybe this year I'll find an intact piece. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2732 (640x627).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	295848
    Good luck out there,
    fldwlkr
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

love it when a hunch pays off . Best of luck in the hunt.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

May be part of gorget, rest might be there, I found two pieces of one and more is out there of it.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Nice point you found for sure. But the very small indention on the base does not qualify it as a bifurcated point as per Early Archaic bifurcated points like for example, LeCroy, etc. It looks like you are on a good site that may provide you more material in which to get an idea of the culture or cultures who lived there.

Comment

I'm with Joe on this one. That indentation looks to be more from an unintentionally chipped base rather than an intentional bifurcation.

Comment

That Point is pretty much all there. Good Hunting!
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice point and some slate...that point reminds me of one I found years ago...that slate is a real cool find also. The woes of the plowland hunter...as far as that base I cant tell if its a plow nick or not but I have seen several finds that have a man made indentation...looks like you have a good spot...
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

A valid point about the base. I should probably post some close ups to clarify. It was purposely notched when made but the entire point is thicker than the more obvious bifurcates I find on this site. Like most fields in Ohio this one is so stirred up you find a range of points from several time periods.
                Thanks for the input,
                fldwlkr

Comment

I have a field like that also. Finds range from Archaic to late Woodland. Those places continue to produce every freeze/thaw and turn of the plow. The plow however does cost us some nice pieces...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2735 (640x427).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	295942 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2743 (640x427).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	295943

Comment

Yeah it could very well be man made. Tough call when its not in hand and found in plowland. I would not dismiss it though as I have seen a few from my area that have that characteristic.

Comment

With the new photos I can see how one may feel like this is bifurcated point. I did not try to type it. Are you able to assign it to a known type or have what you think may be a good guess? If so, then that may help decide whether it is of a type that usually is or sometimes may be a "bifurcate". The pic on the left is the one that best shows what you are talking about. And with that one I see what looks to be an intentional thinning flake struck from one side of the stem At this time it is pretty much a judgment call. Having it in hand makes a lot of difference. The pic on the right does not help me much.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of a Heavy Duty. The base may best be described as lobbed. I've see many of them come from Ohio collections made from Flintridge and Coshcoton... Cool little hardstone fragment too. Makes one dream of finding the whole piece! Thanks for sharing!
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Sailorjoe, Your input is well received at this end and I am glad to have any input on the finds I post. If I were to attempt a type, all I could say would be archaic stemmed point. It certainly doesn't look like the Lecroy or Kanawha points I have found.
                            fldwlkr

Comment

Working...
                            X