Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13485.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	336601 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13483.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	336602 I name my creeks different than the real names due to I really dont want others to know where I am at. I have permission to this creek where the owner owns 500 acres. Im the only one looking for artifacts there and even though I dont find a whole lot of them I enjoy the quiet. I will give you a mental pic of it. Its up in the mountainous section where there is mostly quartz the quality of the rock isnt very good but there is quartzite also and very little flint. Im thinking the flint must of been carried in due to I have yet to find a single cobble. I like to go to many places and usually a different one each week. This spot is way out of my area and I have found bear tracks and heard mountain lions scream. The area has been invaded by wild hogs which is good for me due to they like to hunt for worms around the creek banks. Its not a large or deep creek there are snakes like copperheads and timber rattlers which I have yet to see which is okay by me. I wear snake boots anyway. I will share some finds from yesterday and a few from the past years. They do have hard stone I found a good quality flake of it yesterday so maybe there is a Celt waiting on me when the water goes down. I like to look at the flakes I find due to that way I can know what color Im looking for in the points and tools category when out there. In the basket is some of the better flakes I picked up to study. I did find a new material which I believe is a blade it has damage on both ends. Now the important piece is the black flint I found it under a ledge overhang which looks to of been a cave at one time. At the bottom of it there is a bend in the creek and the water is eroding the bank. Thats where I found the black flint and a piece of drilled soapstone last time out there. I havent adventured to close to the area due to I know the bear might be in it. In the summer there is a trail leading from the opening and going up the hill behind it. Its a large trail and very visible. Almost forgot I have only found 1 piece of pottery no pic due to I gave it to the owner. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13492.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	336599 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13489.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	336600 I dont think that area has ever been touched by humans before. Now for the pics, hope you guys will enjoy. N GA
    NW Georgia,

Didnt come out in order so I will add the past finds to this now. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13073.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	336606 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12527.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	336607 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12525.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	336608 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11474.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	336609 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11496.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	336610
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Those are the pieces I kept.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Hey Glenn, That Celt is awesome.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thatnks I found it 2 years ago and another Hoe which I didnt post due to it being roughly made

I was reading this story and said sounds like me in Georgia from the animals to lithics.
        That is a great Celt I am yet to find one .
        Also South of you I have not found that black flint .
        Every few hundred miles can be so different .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I dont stray more than a mile away from the public side. The woods goes for 25 miles before the next road but I have no interest of walking that far. The Celt was found in a different section of the creek from what I can gather there is 2 campsites so far. The black flint comes from a older site. The study of flakes is a good way of knowing where the camps are and the age of them by the flaking and size of the flakes.

Hey SH ..that's a good spot you got man nice sugar quartz...and I like that pentagonal looking white point... Nice hardstone too ...that's some nice finds for this time if year. keep goin out man...I'm gonna try here..but it's in the 20s now for a while.. as long as the snow holds off ...I'll try
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks I dont find many nice pieces in that area for the amount of time I put in out there. Just got another super flood this week.

The 1st photo the grey piece is a type of Green Stone they used here cant tell it in the photo but its snapped in half and one time was a nice flake knife shows edge work only. With all of the rain the leaves should of left and hopefully I can get back out there in a while and find a whole one.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Love your celt!
          South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
            Love your celt!
            Thanks I saw it from a little bridge as I was walking across the creek. The water was clear and it was laying there in the mix of some rocks. Jumped in and grabbed it, couldnt believe it when I pulled it out. Im hoping there are more after this latest flood we had.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
            X