Glossy blade w/ notches ? from Cherryville MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossy blade w/ notches ? from Cherryville MO

Here are pics of a very pretty palm sized blade from the Huzzah river near Cherryville MO. This is not the best blade I ever found , but really eye catching lithic with extremely tight grain. Any guesses on age period ? Also pic of the Huzzah creek near find site. Thanks for a look , Louvier

That is a very nice looking piece of river candy!

I know they aren't all old ones, but I still tend to think many of those are paleo or early archaic.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That shoreline looks like a dream come true ! I’d be haunting that area !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Do you just walk the edges or do you look in the water to? It’s a nice looking spot I bet you have found plenty there.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

I hear the angels singing...

Nice piece!!!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Thanks for sharing
          South Dakota

Comment

WOW, super find.
            SE IA

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Looks like it’s made off a flake . Everyone here taught me flake tool technology is very old .

Comment

Hi Tam , I am not familiar with flake technology. Can you explain what it is , please?

Comment

I think Tam is referring to blade core technology. It is a form of knapping that uses something like a punch and a knapper would apply force with their body downward onto a core and it would produce long flakes. You can look up blade core knapping on YouTube and see how it is done. I don't think that piece was produced with that technique though. In the third pic, at the top of the piece, you can see a bulb of percussion where it was struck from the parent stone. That tells us it was struck with direct percussion with a hammerstone. It does look to be an older piece though, probably early archaic.
                    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Tam
                      Tam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you BA I was traveling .. No bars here .. thanks for picking up my slack with a great explanation. .

Nice find, Joe. That is a very pretty piece and that creek looks like a great hunting spot.
                    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Broken Arrow , Thanks for the info on core knapping. I watched some vids on YouTube about it and learned a lot. Joe Louvier

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                        Broken Arrow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You're welcome, Joe. It is an interesting technique
                    Working...
                    X